We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Hi All,

I came across a link (at end of email) on the web which talk about Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island. I will be going to Algonquin Provincial Park and planning to go to Manitoulin Island on the way back, to view Norther Lights on 30-31st October. Please advice, if I will be able to view Northern Lights here or not.

Also, I am very much interested in viewing Northern Lights., but all good locations are way up north and requires to take a flight, which I would like to avoid as they are very expensive. So if there are anyother alternative locations, please guide. My stay in Cananda is from 29th Oct 2016 to 5 Nov 2016. During this time, I will be visiting Montreal, Toronto, Québec City, Ottawa etc...

Link - northernontario.travel/northeastern-ontario/…

Thanks

Anubhav

10 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,830 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

There are aurora forecasting sites that you can check, like this one for example: …alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/…20161009 On the map shown on this site, the green swath is where the aurora may be seen overhead, and the green line to the south marks the southern limit of where they may be seen along the horizon. Note that the aurora are not seen very often at latitudes as southerly as Manitoulin Island. As for your other destinations, even if the aurora come out, you are unlikely to be able to see them in a city, where the lights obscure the night sky.... you need to be in a place where there is not a lot of man-made light.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,397 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Hi Anubhav;

The Northern Lights (aurora borealis) are an atmospheric phenomenon, and very hard to predict, but you will NOT see them in big cities such as "Montreal, Toronto, Québec City, Ottawa"...just too much man-made light "pollution".

A location such as Manitoulin Island will be dark at night, there is no guarantee of seeing the lights.

Best Regards

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Thanks both for your response. I know won`t be able to see them from cities due to light, but interested in finding out if there are any location where I can drive through from these cities, may be can take a 2night/3 day trips to view the northern lights?

Also, chances of seeing them from Manitoulin Island dounds low?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
162 reviews
4. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

If you had poked around on the link that krp had sent you, you would have found this map, which, if you save and monitor, will show you how often the aurorae will be visible from Manitoulin. I assume that you know how to find it on the map?

…alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/…20161009

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,397 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

You're Welcome, Anubhav !

As you are probably not familiar with Canadian geography, looking at those maps may not be too helpful, so allow me.

The current forecasts show that the aurora will remain about 500 miles / 800 km north of Manitoulin Island.

Best Regards

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Thanks a lot, I am not at all faimilar with Canadian Geography - As this is a natural phenomeno can this change by 2 Nov 2016? - Should I check again then?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,830 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Think of it as "solar winds" and "solar weather". Like our earthly weather, things change. Do check the aurora forecast while you are here, if you like. But your entire visit is in a part of the country (eastern Canada) where seeing the aurora is not common, so don't get your hopes up.

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

Thanks, what is a good location to view Northern Lights for budget traveller? - All dsetinations which I could find on the web, are not motorable from the eastern side and the flight tickets are quite high.

Regards

Anubhav

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,830 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

The website link given earlier has a map that shows where the lights may be visible.... you need to be somewhere in the "green zone". Of course, just because the lights are active doesn't mean the skies are cloud-free and that you will be able to see them from the ground ... this is why I am not sure that I would consider travelling to see the aurora as a "budget" trip.... you really need to plan to spend several nights, to increase your chances of seeing anything.

The problem with trying to see them when you are on a trip to eastern Canada is that the settled areas where visitors go are all very far south. Manitoulin Island, for example, is at 45 degrees latitude. We see the aurora here (in Jasper National Park) on a fairly regular basis (at 53 degrees latitude) but even so, we are not far enough north that I would recommend travelling here for the aurora - and on many of the nights when I get an email alert that they may be active ( www.aurorawatch.com ), the skies are completely overcast. I have seen the aurora very brightly a few times south of here, while driving across the prairies in Saskatchewan or Manitoba... but even there, you don't have a high chance of seeing them and it's halfway across the country from where you will be visiting - travelling those kinds of distances is never cheap.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,517 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island

It's not impossible to see the lights on Manitoulin - as you can see from the article you linked. There isn't much light "pollution" in that region. I have seen them on Georgian bay and in the Muskokas region, usually in October And further north around Lake Superior.. However, as noted, there is never any guarantee of seeing them for various reasons - cloud cover, timing, etc. So if the main reason for your travel is to see the Aurora, then you can't skimp on price and you need to travel to the northern regions where you have a better chance.

Reply to: Northern Lights in Manitoulin Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manitoulin Island