We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How young is too young for Idlewild?

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
How young is too young for Idlewild?
Save

I keep reading that Idlewild is great young families, but how young is too young? We are planning on going in a couple weeks with a 3 year old and a 15 month old. The 15 month old is walking. Will he be able to ride anything or play in any areas?

Any tips you feel like sharing about Idlewild would be greatly appreciated!

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: How young is too young for Idlewild?
Save

We are planning to make an extended weekend trip to Idlewild in three weeks with out 3 year old and 16 month old. Two of the familes I work with took their kids there when they were around our kid's age and said it was really good.

Just FYI, we're planning to stay at Hidden Valley Resort about 30 minutes away. They have a good package for $138/night that includes the items listed below. I read the reviews and they were "okay" for hidden valley so we thought we'd give it a try.

One night of lodging in the Four Seasons Lodges

Rooms include microwave and mini refrigerator

Two FunDay passes to Idlewild Park & Soak Zone

(additional passes available - call for prices)

Continental breakfast for two

Outdoor pool (May 23 - Sept. 7, 2009)

Indoor pool and hot tub

Fitness Club

Paddleboat rental at Hidden Valley

Playground, badminton, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball

Disposable camera to capture family memories (one camera per room)

Discount tickets to Fort Ligonier and Caddie Shak available

Two complimentary preview passes to Idlewild & Soak Zone for the day of your arrival*. Early check-in is available for this package. Check-in/register by 4 p.m. to

ohio
Level Contributor
214 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: How young is too young for Idlewild?
Save

I went about 10 years ago with a 4 1/2 year old and a 9 month old and it was a good time. We did not go to the water part of the park. I remember it was very oriented to small children. I think your 15 month old would have fun. Again my memories are fuzzy. Part of it was walking thru "storybok forest" , no problem for the 15 month old.

Heidi

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
63 reviews
40 helpful votes
3. Re: How young is too young for Idlewild?
Save

Hi! I agree that Idlewild is a great park for little kids. The water park area has a neat little zero-depth entry pool that little ones love. Lots of interactive features. You could probably spend the entire afternoon just in that one spot!

Many of the rides in the kiddie area (Raccoon Lagoon? I think) allow ONLY small kids. Last summer, our 3 year old did not want to ride alone at first, but he slowly warmed up to the idea, and then enjoyed it. The ride operators were very attentive and friendly. There were plenty of other rides that the whole family could do, like the train and the Mister Rogers Neighborhood Ride.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
907 posts
10 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: How young is too young for Idlewild?
Save

Idlewild is an amazing amusement park geared towards families. It was actually voted the #2 best family theme park in the world. I was just there again over Labor Day with my niece since most of my family is still located in that area. We take her a few times a year and have actually purchased season passes and starting next year her two twin sisters will get to experience Idlewild too. Funny thing is that I used to work there when I was younger!!

Here is a basic breakdown of the park:

Story Book Forest --> If you kids are into fairy tales and storybooks then you must walk thru SBF. There are people there dressed as the characters and you even get a lollypop from the captain of the good ship Lollypop. There is a lot of walking around done in SBF and some of up is uphill just to be warned. Oh and a word of caution....you MUST walk thru the gift shop in order to leave SBF. Good for kids of all ages and can definitely be done with your family.

Jumpin' Jungle --> This is geared around a giant tree house with lots of little activities around it. There is a ball pit that your kids and play in, a big slide, a net to climb, etc... I actually think that JJ is geared toward a little order crowd. Not many activities that your 15 month old would be able to do there.

Hootin' Holler --> BEST food in all the park is sold at the kitchen in HH. Great prices there too. You can get hand cut potato fries and 3 big chicken fingers for under $6.00 there! There are also some shows that are performed on the stage in HH and the kids like to dance around to the music. There is a general store there and a few rides (older kid rides). Fun place. Oh, and you can also catch the train over to Racoon Lagoon from here.

Old Idlewild --> mostly the grown up rides of Idlewild ranging from the Rollo Coaster, The Spider, Bumper Cars, The Whip, The Ferris Wheel, The Round Up and The Wild Mouse. Plus many more. Your 3 year old will be able to ride these rides with an adult. However, your 15 month year old will not be able to. There is also a main stage in Old Idlewild where shows are put on by Idlewild employees. There are also lots of amusement park games here too. Oh...make sure to try a Cyclone while you are there!! Yummy!!

Racoon Lagoon --> Kiddieland in other words. Both of your kids will be entertained for hours here. Plenty of rides for them to enjoy! Also a small stage that has shows throughout the day and don't forget to take a ride on Mister Roger's Neighborhood trolley.

Soak Zone --> a HUGE waterpark that can be fun for all in your family. There is plenty there geared towards the kids. Definitely lots of fun and a must do if you are at the park during the summer months.

Please feel free to ask me any questions....I know tons about Idlewild and will be returning again in October for Hallowboo. Hope this helps.

Turtle

5. Re: How young is too young for Idlewild?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Ligonier
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.