We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

I cater in the Tampa Bay area, but I need lots of information about planning our daughter's wedding (under 80 guests) in the Media area. We probably could not go the Country Club route, since we are retired and need to budget. Ideally, we would prefer to spend a few weeks in the area and do much of the prep ourselves, with the family's help. We would like to rent something-- a hall, pavillion, fraternal facility, spacious home/yard/big tent, meeting room, anything where we could get creative, perhaps BBQ and provide a lot of the food, floral arrangements, and special touches ourselves. In making our decision, your advice and information about possible sites/venues, hotels, country clubs, and restaurants in the area would be appreciated. Are there quaint chapels within the area? We are starting our plans from the very beginning and have little knowledge of the area. Any illuminating advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope this topic is ok for the FORUM. Thanks!

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
650 posts
207 reviews
1. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

You might want to try this bulletin board instead: http://www.city-data.com/forum/pennsylvania/ Tripadvisor is more for vacations and short visits.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
526 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

I'd also try the Philadelphia forum specifically as you may find more information there.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

OK, I was born and raised near Media and still have family in the area. Here are a couple of ideas to get you started.

For two very different but interesting possibilities for a summer wedding, check out the mansion at Ridley Creek State Park (…state.pa.us/stateParks/…ridleycreek.aspx), which is a 2600 acre park just few miles outside of Media.

For a more traditional "country club" atmosphere, check out the Springfield Country Club (which is a public course with a nice banquet facility) at http://springfieldcc.net/.

Also in downtown Media, look at The Towne House restaurant, which is very used to larger groups for weddings, funeral lunches, business meetings, etc. Link is www.townehouse.com/.

For a place to stay in the general area, you might look into www.hamanassett.com/location.html. It is a charming place about 4 miles from Media and they also may be able to help with interesting wedding locations as well.

These are just a few suggestions. Good luck!

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

I'd like to remention the Springfield Country Club-It's been all redone , is not membership necessary for weddings, and is beautiful. Media is right next door.It'd popular so book as soon as possible.

http://www.springfieldcc.net/

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

Thank you to tylerarb and to Bookworm for the recent information posted about the Springfield Country Club and the other place and accomodation information. I do appreciate the suggestions that you have given. We will all get together and put the puzzle together, then try to set the date. Every factor is inter-related and dependent upon each other. We are now looking for a small chapel or site for the vows, because everything else will depend upon that location. Seems like many, many cities and towns are all within 15 mles of each other and Media, but some of the roads do not go everywhere- 10 miles might translate into 25-40 minutes of driving... We are learning. Thank you for your help.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

Many of the churches require membership for weddings,

Towns close by are Drexel Hill,Havertown,Swarthmore, of course Media.

I don't have time but this link may get you started

http://www.yellowpages.com/mc/Media-PA

Swarthmore is probably your best bet for a quaint chapel and it's about 8 min. from the country club.

Best wishes :)

Book

The link is iffy, so just go to wedding chapels in springfield, pa and you can expand from there.

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

You may have already ironed out your details since this post is a few monhts old - but the Old Mill at Rose Valley is often used as a site for weddings and receptions.

Very close to Media and is a lovely, unusual site if you want to move away from the country club reception scene.

Good luck!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

I really appreciate your reply, but I am worried about the contract, which lets them flush us, if some unknown thing happens....so that we could be without a place 30 days from the wedding and reception. This makes me stop, since no one wants to pay and then scramble at the last minute, when one supposes that everything is set. I do not think that their flushing-us terms are set, just that they can. It is a lovely menu and site, but we all could be FLUSHABLE

Not worth paying big bucks and then having nothing but scrapple. Do you know something that we do not know? Thanks...

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
83 reviews
9. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

I grew up within walking distance of the Old Mill and agree that it would be a fantastic wedding location. Have you spoken with them directly? I looked at their website and didn't see any caveats about reserving dates. As they clearly are interested in booking business, the idea that they arbitrarily might cancel you out seems incomprehensible.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: Wedding Next Summer in Media Area

Hi, I thank you for your response. I do not have the contract for the Mill in hand, but do have their menu selections and pricing. The selections are wonderful, seem to be affordable, and when viewing the site/rooms on-line, they are very desirable. We all really like what is offered....except for the cancellation policy.

The blogs from many people indicate that the contract allows the Mill establishment to cancel a wedding booking, as late as 30 days before the event. I do not know how, or why this should occur, but I would really like to be assured that our function would happen, and that we would not get deleted, for some unknown reason, leaving us scrambling for another site thirty days before the event. The event is too important and very costly to have plans go crazy and then have to start from scratch again.

I would think twice and four times about booking with an outfit that could mess us up so badly.

Some of the previous clients have posted that the establishment was inflexible and not willing to meet specific needs of the families involved in the wedding event. I have no idea what is what, but I would rather hear that this staff is happy, flexible, and making the event happen, with no bad feelings within the process. Blogs may not be completely founded in fact, but people do have feelings and have paid for services, so good evaluations are much better on line that bad ones.

Again, I do not have any first hand experience with these people or this place, but there is no way I want to be hunting for another wedding ceremony and reception site, 30 days before the happy event.

Do you know more specifics than I know? Thank you so much for your help....

Get answers to your questions about Media
Recent Conversations