We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is confluence Addison a good base to see falling water house

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Is confluence Addison a good base to see falling water house

Hi could you advise how far is the drive from Addison to mill run? We have plans to see the fallingwater and the accommadation I found is in confluence addison. Are there anything else to see in confluence?

3 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Is confluence Addison a good base to see falling water house

Your drive from Addison to Mill Run where Fallingwater is located is about 45-50 minutes. GoogleMaps say there are two routes, one 34, one 38...maybe add ten at least onto that as the roads are two lane, and if you get behind a coal or logging truck, that will slow you down. Do give yourself a good buffer for that as the tours at Fallingwater are specifically timed, and you do not want to be late as you may not be able to join another tour, it gets pretty booked up in the summer. Make sure you have reservations, walk-up tours are rare.

There really is not a whole lot to do in that area....around Ohiopyle, closer to Fallingwater, the river/waterfalls are nice to look at for about 15 minutes....a few shops in town, small restaurants, etc. There is Fort Necessity, a primitive colonial era fort where Washington suffered his major defeat is on Rte 40. If you are into that sort of thing, not far from Fort Necessity is Laurel Caverns, can be an interesting walk underground if you have never experienced a cavern before. Luray Caverns it is not, but still is good for a first timer.

There is the Nemacolin Resort, a five start hotel/resort complex which some find exquisite, I find it gawdy and tacky, but that's my opinion. You can have a wonderful dinner there for a lot of money...... it is not far from Fort Necessity.

Going north back towards Somerset, maybe a little over an hour is the Flight 93 Memorial, dedicated to those who lost there life when the flight crashed on 9/11.

conn
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
175 reviews
2. Re: Is confluence Addison a good base to see falling water house

I would camp in the state park. maybe renting one of the parks yutes

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
3. Re: Is confluence Addison a good base to see falling water house

Are you already committed, or do you have some other reason for staying in Addison? If your main reason to be in the area is to see Falling Water that's not what I'd consider a good base. About the only thing I can think of in the Confluence area that you might find interesting would be the Great Allegheny Passage (it's a rail trail). If there's any chance you'd have any interest in kayaking there's a paddling shop, but unless you're planning far in advance it's not exactly paddling weather (at least not for those who aren't already serious), and the shop may not be open while you're there. Even if those things interest you, the only reason I can see to stay in Addison would be if you're planning on driving out on I-70 and US 40, but the PA turnpike is probably a better route.

I'lI also note that while the setting for Falling Water is very nice, it's an ugly house, IMHO. Kentuck Knob, which is another FLW house, is about midway between Ohiopyle and Chalk Hill (and almost on the route you might take to FW). I think its a much nicer house. It's not always open, but you might consider adding it to your itinerary, or even substituting it for FW.

If you're adventurous, Laurel Caverns offers two things that Luray doesn't. One is a wild caving option, where you can get off the tourist trails and explore on your own, and the other is rappelling (done in the cave).

Reply to: Is confluence Addison a good base to see falling water house
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ohiopyle
More Ohiopyle Topics