We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

We are planning a 4 days trips to Pittsburgh for the March break. We are going with a 6 and 3 years old boy. We plan to visit the science museum, natural museum, zoo, mt washington and maybe ross park mall on the way.

We are not familiar with Pittsburgh area. I want to stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island but worry that the local traffic might be an issue going in/out the downtown area during the rush hour.

Should we stay at the north shore or south side instead?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,788 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

Hmmmm...so many similarities with this post, I wonder if you've read the responses here already?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g53449-i352-k52262…

I personally would question staying on Neville Island, not for traffic, but for some other reason? There is a rush hour, but not nearly as bad as a major city like Toronto. I would absolutely consider staying South Side or Downtown/North Shore - even consider the Greentree area, too.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

I'd recommend the North Shore, South Side, Downtown, or perhaps the Hampton Inn near the convention center, especially if you want easy access to downtown. Unless you have destinations outside of the city that you plan to travel to, staying in town is much more convenient.

By the way, did you consider any of the music options in Pittsburgh?

Edited: 10 March 2012, 22:27
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

If you can get a decent rate on the north side (first), or the south side(second) I would opt for that. I wouldn't put Nevile Island as one of my "must visit" places in coming to Pittsburgh. It's basically an industrial wasteland.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
237 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

I've actually heard the hotel on Neville Island is pretty nice, but Neville Island itself...not so much. It's also not very convenient to the places you are visiting.

I would listen to the other posters here. When looking at your list of things to do, I think it makes the most sense to stay downtown or on the north shore. The south side is good too, but it's the party street and I'm not sure if you want that with your small boys. There are some good places to eat in the South Side though.

If you don't want to stay in a hotel in the city, I think looking in the North Hills (along McKnight road), would also be a good bet. It's easy to get in and out of the city and very close to Ross Park Mall.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

We've stayed at the Best Western Greentree and found it to be convenient. It has a free breakfast and a nice indoor pool. By the time you head out to the attractions, rush hour will be over so having to go through the tunnel and across the bridge is not a problem. We came back during rush hour and it was not that bad. The traffic acually backed up after the Greentree exit. The only thing to be aware of when traversing the tunnel and bridges is to make sure you are in the correct lane. That can be a little tricky.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

Thanks for all your advice.

I think we will book the Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - McKnight Rd. The price is less expensive. Is it hard to find a parking spot at natural museum and science museum ? how about mt washington?

thanks

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

I assume by the science museum you mean the Carnegie Science Museum. If you get there early, parking is not a problem any day. Weekends can be full, weekdays not as bad. I can't tell you about the Natural History Museum. To go to Mt. Washington, take one of the inclines - Duquesne or Monogehela. There is a free parking lot at the base of the Duquesne Incline. The base of the Monogehela Incline is at the Station Square shops with pay parking. The view at night with the city lit up is fantastic although I realize with a 3 and 6 year old that may not be possible. But if you want to go up to Mt. Washington, the way to go is one of the inclines. There isn't much else to see up there other than the overview of the city and some expensive restaurants. Driving up to there can be kind of crazy and confusing with narrow winding roads and streets.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

Just wanted to throw in that I stayed in the Fairfield Inn Neville Island last summer, since everywhere in our actual destination of Oakland was full.

It actually was very nice, but I didn't have to deal with getting back and forth.

Clairton...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

There is a parking garage behind the Museum of Natural History. The entrance is off of Fifth Ave at the the end of the art museum wing. Even on weekends I have never had an issue with parking there. There is also metered street parking in the area, but that is a real crap shoot. You can drive around for hours and find nothing, especially if classes are in session at the Univ of Pittsburgh.

10. Re: Need advice for march break trip to Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:18