We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

I and hubby are coming in to Charleston on May 5th and want to go south down the coast for 2 nights and 3 days before returning to Charleston. I was looking at Beaufort or Hilton Head or both. We love history, I love quilting. I thought maybe the lighthouse and park, but am unsure of the rest. We are not much on shopping, more interested in culture and FOOD. Suggestions anyone?

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Go to Beaufort, and visit the nearby sea islands. Beaufort is the second oldest city in South Carolina (after Charleston), and is packed with history. You might enjoy staying at one of the lovely bed and breakfasts in the center of the historic town. Do take a walking tour, then explore on your own. Nearby Hunting Island offers beautiful lowcountry scenery, the subject of many local artists. St Helena Island is home to the Penn Center, which perpetuates Gullah culture. Other islands offer great beaches and resort development. The Marine Corps. museum, on the famous base at Parris Island, is said to be quite interesting.

Hilton Head is perfect for an extended beach vacation, but lacks the history you desire. Most of Hilton Head is recently developed, gated residential and resort "plantations" ... not the real deal.

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Charleston
Charleston
Penn Center
Penn Center
169 Reviews
Saint Helena Island, SC
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,857 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Hilton Head is basically a planned vacation community, with lots of gated neighborhoods, golf, tennis and shopping. No history to speak of.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Def. Skip Hilton Head, if your into food, culture, and all that jazz, HHI offers none of it, Blech.

Beaufort is my pick, awesome little downtown area, nice history, awesome restaurants, and a lot of local flavor (Culturally and culinary!)

There's a big quilt and fabric store in Beaufort as well called "tabby fabric and studio"

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Go to Gullah Grub. Call first.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Beaufort is definitely the choice based on your wants. Cuisine, culture, history, and relaxation are on your horizon. The lighthouse at Hunting Island State Park is iconic and well worth the 16 mile trek from downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Hunting Island State Park
Hunting Island State Park
1,886 Reviews
Beaufort, SC
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Don't really need to add anything else, other than a link to more info about Beaufort:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c148454/Beaufo…

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Yes! Will ditch hubby for a few minutes for that...well, maybe an hour...or two.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

Thanks. That makes the decision much easier. I was leaning towards Beaufort, just from what I was hearing about Hilton Head.

9. Re: I have 2 nights and 3 days to blow on the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 01:16