We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
48 reviews
Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

We're staying in Harbor Island for two nights and would like to go to dinner with our three kids in Beaufort one of the nights. OUr kids are well-behaved and are adventurous eaters, so we don't shy away from nice places to eat. What restaurant can you recommend with great food in downtown Beaufort? Thanks in advance!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

One of the best things about eating downtown are the many options, from seafood to BBQ. Shrimp and grits at Saltus, the Prime and Lobster Philly at Paninis, Fried oysters at Plums, Great Q at Q on Bay, or try tapas at Emily's. Lowcountry Produce's selection is awesome. Breakwater for a little formal outing or Griffen Market for Italian. Can't go wrong. Dockside (not downtown) is an area favorite as well. My family enjoys Plums, Lowcountry Produce, and Q probably the best. I actually love the variety that downtown offers and have listed my favorites at each in the examples above.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

With kids, I think Panini's is honestly your best bet. They have outdoor seating for nice days and have a good, balanced menu with some creative pizza offerings as well as other Italian and seafood options. Plums is also a good choice, though outdoor seating is a bit tougher to get. I have found the BBQ at Q on Bay to be hit-or-miss in recent weeks, so they are off my recommendation list until they become consistent again. I have heard from locals that Griffin Market is not exactly kid-friendly. Breakwater is nice, but it doesn't have outdoor seating.

I will also make a suggestion for Dockside; although not in downtown, the restaurant overlooks downtown from across the river on Lady's Island. Excellent, local, and fresh seafood.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 00:08
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

I like Luther's, it may be a bit more sports bar type than what you're looking for but I think kids would like it, Great burgers.

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I think Dockside or Emily's might work out well--if we're there earlier in the day to see the sights (I definitely want to walk around downtown), we might check out Panini's for lunch. We're looking forward to visiting Beaufort!

Edited: 13 April 2013, 08:04
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

Note that Dockside is not open for lunch.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

Hi:

My sister and I just returned from The Gullah Festival. We had a wonderful time. My all time favorite was Panini's Cafe at 926 Bay Street. Very family friendly, great food. You must try Chef Paul's Italian Sausage White Bean Soup!!!!! Then ask him if he was named in the ladies will he gave the recipe too!!! I am soaking my beans now to try it out. The shrimp and grits was fab as well. Service was awesome and we found out the owner is from up North. By all means, go.

Labimmer

7. Re: Best restaurant in Beaufort--great food, not fussy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort
Recent Conversations