We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gullah

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
gullah

Hello,

I meant to search for Gullah culture and used that as my subject heading.

My husband and I are flying into CHS, picking up a rental car and heading down 17S to Beaufort for the night. We are then exploring our way down to Savannah for 3 nights, then looping back to Charleston (Mt Pleasant) for 3 nights. Needless to say, we are very excited, this is our first trip to Low Country and we are celebrating our 30 wedding anniversary.

Is there a convenient place to shop for beer & wine and a few groceries near Beaufort?

Also, I have generic driving directions but if someone has a special route that includes "must sees", I would love to know the best way to navigate our way around.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 14:50
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gullah

Hi Marieskia,

Congrats on your anniversary, and hope you enjoy your trip to the Lowcountry! You have a good itinerary, though you may want to consider adding another night in Beaufort and removing one in Savannah, if you can adjust your itinerary.

The best place to stop for groceries in Beaufort is the Publix on Lady's Island (163 Sea Island Pkwy); they have an excellent deli and bakery as well. For beer, wine, and spirits, Bill's Liquors on Lady's Island (132 Sea Island Pkwy) is the best shop in town.

On your way to Beaufort from Charleston, stop at the Old Sheldon Church Ruins. This stop will not take you significantly off the route, however it is an absolutely gorgeous location. Bring the camera and the insect repellent.

As far as other things to do in Beaufort, here is some more general information:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c148454/Beaufo…

The reason I suggest two nights in Beaufort is you may want to spend a day to explore the downtown historic district and Penn Center on St. Helena Island, and then a full/half day at Hunting Island State Park (15 miles east of Beaufort); H.I. was recently voted one of the top 25 beaches in the U.S. by TripAdvisor. Savannah is certainly worth two nights, but I think two full days in Savannah should be more than enough time to cover everything. Charleston offers more to the visitor, so don't cut a night from there.

If you have any other questions, leave a reply here or private message me. I know you'll love the Lowcountry [spelled as one word, btw ;) ]

Edited: 31 May 2013, 10:32
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gullah

Thanks, Tiger. We're not able to change our itinerary. But we will definitely try to get to Huntington Island and St. Helena Island while we are in the Beaufort area. We are staying at the Beaufort Inn, so we will certainly see the historic district as well.

I appreciate your response, it's very helpful.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gullah

Given the title of your post, I must emphasize that The Penn Center site and museum on St Helena is an important site for people interested in Gullah/Geechee history in the Sea Islands. Visiting the center is a quick excursion from mainland Beaufort, so might fit into your day of wandering down to Savannah. Unless you need to be in Savannah for an early dinner after touring Beaufort, there is not enough to see between Beaufort and Savannah to fill an entire afternoon.

www.discoversouthcarolina.com/products/672

http://101thingshiltonhead.com/101-things/607

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gullah

Glad to hear it! Just as another quick aside; Huntington Beach is another state park in S.C. up near MB, whereas Hunting Island is the one by Beaufort. Sometimes these get confused and visitors look up information for one, only to be disappointed that they are visiting the other!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gullah

If your interest is Gullah, you must visit Penn Center.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gullah

Thanks very much, All. We will plan to explore as much of the Beaufort area as we can. It all sounds so interesting. My husband and I are from the Boston area, the Lowcountry looks so different from the North. We are very excited to see the sites and experience the culture.

7. Re: gullah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort
Recent Conversations