We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

Level Contributor
19 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

Greetings, all. Going to Charleston in the fall for anniversary with an overnight in Beaufort. As our time will be limited, I was curious if the Parris Island museum is worth the time. We also wanted to get in a trip to Hunting Island, the Beaufort National Cemetery, and see downtown. Our plan is to leave Charleston early and am trying to decide if Parris Island is worth the stop. Thanks for any input or advice.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

We visited the museum, w/my son who is into all things military and my nephew, who is in the navy. Both enjoyed, you can do a quick run through in maybe 90 minutes or so (not reading everything that there is to read).

My parents are buried in the National Cemetery, it's a very moving place. If you read Pat Conroy, it's where his dad is buried, as well (the Great Santini).

If you, indeed, do get started early, I think you should be able to get it all in.

Sc
Level Contributor
3 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

It is worth it; you will be amazed at the museum and other nearby sites. Remember to bring appropriate identification as you will be stopped at a military gate by MPs/guards. If you can time your visit on a Friday, you would be able to see the graduation show/march of the new marines who have finished boot camp....very moving and great to experience.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

Here's a list of what to do on a day trip. As you see, you'll likely have time to do so.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Mooresville, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

Try to arrange your trip on a Friday. The marines hold graduation ceremonies nearly every Friday and it is amazing! The museum is very near the graduation venue. Plan on at least half day at the museum. Unquestionably the best event that we have attended to date.

5. Re: Parris Island museum--worth the stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2016, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort
Recent Conversations