We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

We are staying in Beaufort the end of April because we like the idea of a smaller town & plan to relax part of the week. It's also convenient for day trips to Charleston & Savannah. There are 2 couples, mid to late 50's. I've found all the touristy things to do from the tour books so what I'm looking for is the local/hidden spots that aren't listed. Best pub/tavern? Best restaurant for seafood & steak? Anywhere there is live entertainment in the evening? Best plantation to tour? This is our first visit to the area but probably not my last. Any suggestions appreciated.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

No plantations anywhere near Beaufort. You have to go the Charleston for that experience.

Eating: for genuine southern soul food (including seafood) be sure to get to MJ's on St Helena Island.

Up the road in Yemassee is a legal "moonshine" distillery next door to an incredible hole-in-the-wall deli. Check the Yemassee listings here on TA. On the way you'll pass the peaceful ruins of Old Sheldon Church.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Fletcher's is the place in Yemassee, be careful, you can drive right by it, looks more like an antiques dealer than a restaurant and distillery. If coming from Beaufort, it will be on the left.

The distiller is the son of either the owner or one of the employees at the restaurant.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Beaufort is a very small town. There are no beaches, you would have to go to nearby islands (Lady, Fripp) or to Hunting Island State Park. Charleston has 5 local plantations. Also has many more historic sites than Savannah, due to an extremely active historic preservation society that started back about 1900 at saving historic buildings. Unfortunately that did not happen as soon in Savannah. Charleston was also settled 63 years before, so has older buildings, etc. The historic district of Charleston has AMAZING restaurants!! All you inquired about and more. You should plan on approx hour and 15 minute drive to Charleston. I forget just how long it takes to get to Savannah, altho I just drove that a few months ago.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

No beach on Lady's Island. Fripp Island and Harbor Island are both gated, so no public beach, but Hunting Island State Park has a great beach and a lighthouse you can climb.

Mentioned in this post
Lady's Island
Lady's Island
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

We stay in the Beaufort area (Fripp or Harbor Island) often and both Savannah and Charleston are nice day trips. Both have a lot to offer. In The Beaufort area we like Plums, Dockside (both locations), Luther's, Hunting Island State Park for its beaches and incredible scenery. It's a great base for visiting a lot of areas.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Plums
Plums
1,591 Reviews
Beaufort, SC
Dockside
Dockside
475 Reviews
Beaufort, SC
Luther's
Luther's
510 Reviews
Beaufort, SC
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Francis, the Port Royal location of Dockside burned last year and will not reopen.

Mentioned in this post
Port Royal
Port Royal
Dockside
Dockside
475 Reviews
Beaufort, SC
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Thanks Steve, I hadn't heard. I always liked the atmosphere of the old Dockside.

Mentioned in this post
Dockside
Dockside
475 Reviews
Beaufort, SC
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Having been to both, we always thought the food was better at the original location. We don'r go to the Lady's Island location any more - too many other good choices.

Mentioned in this post
Lady's Island
Lady's Island
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

Thank you all for your info. Excited to check out the area.

10. Re: I'v read the tour books, now I'd like the "inside" scoop....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2017, 01:16