We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Charleston

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
NYE in Charleston

I visited Charleston in January of this year for my bachelorette and the whole time I said to myself "my husband would like this, my husband would like that" and so we are now going for NYE! We need some help for plans on the actual NYE evening.

There are a lot of parties to choose from and I am not sure which ones would be our speed

Many seem to have a bar but not very much food (or from how they word it, it concerns us) and for the price tag 150-185 that is a bit pricy for not having dinner, even if it is open bar.

There are a lot of pre-fixe dinners which seems nice, but doesn't seem to include the "fun" part of the evening. Music, or some entertainment, or a new years toast!

So when we were out in LA for New Years eve ahead of the Oregon/FSU game we found a restaurant, that had a pre-fixe, a little stage burlesque show(super tame but added to the romance and festivities), live music, and a festive atmosphere. It was a french restaurant in between Beverly hills and west hollywood called the little door. It just hit the right note. It was nice to have some great champagne, know the pre-fixe price, have some music, and things not be too crazy but still romantic and fun.

My husband isn't a dance all night kinda guy(but does like to have fun!) and since we don't know society (or anyone) in Charleston those big parties might be a bit random feeling for us, but just doing dinner and going back to the hotel room sounds a little underwhelming.

I am wondering if anywhere in Charleston does something similar to what I described, kinda in between those two extremes? I have been researching but I am having no luck.

Logistics:

-We would prefer dinner and a party all in one place

-Black Tie is fine, my husband has his tux and I'm packing both a long and short evening dress

-With dinner and party/fun plus alcohol (its doesn't have to be open bar, we could get some champagne bottles instead, but open bar is fun too!) we would like to be in the $300/couple or around 150/pp

-we are 34 and 44. We drink and have fun but we aren't party all night in the club people.

-We are genial, we can make friends or mix and mingle very well.

-If you know of a party that has a good amount of food but not full dinner please let us know about that, what has us concerned is the word "lite" in front of any mention of food at some parties

8 replies to this topic
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE in Charleston

No sit down dinner's in these, but here's some thoughts from today's newspaper...

https://www.postandcourier.com/charleston_sc…

Personally, I'd go far the Aquarium or the Rice Mill.

Not aware of anything like you are describing, with dinner and entertainment. Many restaurants have 2 seatings on NYE, precluding any sort of show.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
404 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE in Charleston

There is plenty to eat, drink and see at this once in a lifetime Charleston NYE event. We've been and it was amazing. Great music, great people and a very iconic setting.

https://yorktowncountdown.com/

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
702 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE in Charleston

Book quickly because many of these will be sold out.

Charleston
Level Contributor
573 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE in Charleston

The Yorktown event is sold out other than VIP.

Zero George is one of the best restaurants in Charleston; they have a black tie event with Gatsby band. zerorestaurantcharleston.com/events/…

$225/person is steep though.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
212 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE in Charleston

Check out the Cedar Room party. Friends went last year (late 30s) and had a blast, convinced a bunch of us to go this year.

kalisea
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE in Charleston

Following this thread because I'm in the same boat and looking for the same thing. The Yorktown Countdown is intriguing and definitely looks once in a lifetime. But I'm worried that it's too clubby. I'm quite pregnant would definitely require a place to sit down.

kalisea
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE in Charleston

Were there places to sit down, and is it super loud? Their promo videos make it look super clubby.

Thanks!!

Emily

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
404 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYE in Charleston

Hi Emily,

I didn't feel it to be "clubby" although I can see your thoughts based on the promo pics. I'm not a "club" guy but I am a retired military man which is kind of what made this party so intriguing to us. With that said, if my wife was pregnant, I don't know that this would be the place. There were places to sit down but they tended to be out of the way and not close to what was going on. Sort of removed from the party. Combine that with the steep narrow stairs getting to and from the different areas, I'd choose something more comfortable for her. I've been told the only tickets left for this party are the VIP option, which offers more drinking, eating and sitting options but may not be worth the money in your current condition.

There is a family friendly event in Marion Square, but again, not sure of the sitting or bathroom options.

Good Luck.

Reply to: NYE in Charleston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charleston