We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

We are in Savannah now and heading to Charleston tomorrow. Unfortunately it looks as if it is going to be pretty cold and we would not enjoy a carriage tour or a walking tour due to the cold. We visited Patriots Point and the Citadel last year and enjoyed them both very much, but no need to do them again. Would love to do a city tour in an enclosed, heated, vehicle. Any suggestions for that, or suggestions for inside things to do?

8 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Add a layer & wear "good" shoes ... Make excursions later in the AM. happy trails ... carracar

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

You are more likely to get responses to this question on the South Carolina forum (or Charleston if they have one for the city). You posted on Road Trips. I've flagged the post as posted to the wrong forum so it may get moved.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Hi jlr51,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the Road Trips Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Charleston Forum.

Joanne

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
975 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

There are some heated bus/van tours. You can also go to the Gibbs Museum of Art or the Aquarium for indoor activities. Today is rain and cold in the forecast so not great weather for walking around outside.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Go to the Convention & Visitor's Bureau on Meeting Street, they should be able to fix you up with a van/bus tour.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Grayline and other bus tours leave from the Visitors Center (a converted train station) on John Street, between Meeting and King Streets.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Cold weather and Charleston do not get along; so when it happens, I too like to find fun, warm stuff to do.

Below are my favorite spots:

Get an Uber and have the driver drive you along The Battery and Vendue Range to look at the lovely houses.

Head to Zero George Hotel and ask for Kincaid, he's the bartender there. And have a lovely time at the fireplace. Also, Zero George's Chef Vinson makes one heck of a hamburger. It's a secret, but it's good if he's in the mood to make it.

For more fireplace fun and people watching, head to the Thoroughbred bar inside the Charleston Place Hotel and the Dewberry Hotel. The Dewberry was the old federal building and is now designed as a hotel in hip, 60s style. It's very cool and folks will strike up a conversation. Another cozy spot is The Spectator Hotel's Bar - this is a must visit. The bartender there is an award winner - with a cool mustache. The furniture is comfortable and classy. All places have non-alcoholic drinks - you can order coffee, cocoa, etc. If you want to get a nice pic of Charleston, head to the rooftop bar of the Vendue Inn or the rooftop bar at the Restoration on King, Just step outside quickly and take an awesome pic of a beautiful at sunset. Other things to do, go to the Charleston Place spa and get a massage or mani/pedi. These are also available at The Dewberry.

Have fun and safe travels

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside

Bundle up and see Charleston on foot! It's not going to be windy or wet.

I'm giving a walking tour tomorrow. We'll avoid the open water by not spending much time on East Battery. Other streets are sheltered, and we'll stop to see interiors of churches, Dock Street Theatre, City Hall art gallery, etc. I'll wear thick socks, gloves, and a hat, and more than likely I'll open my collar after about 1/2 hour.

I agree with SCBlossom, if you need heated comfort, go to the Visitors Center and take a minibus tour with Grayline, Sites & Insites, or one of the other operators.

Reply to: What to do in Charleston when it is very cold outside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted