We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in Charleston

1 post
Snow in Charleston

My boyfriend and I decided to be spontaneous and book a stay in Charleston for new year’s. We were really excited about our plans and the fact that we will experience cold weather and maybe snow on Monday! (We’re from FL so we are trying to escape the warm weather during the holidays). However, we now heard that Charleston is not accustomed to snow and bridges/roads may close due to icing. We are staying in Mount Pleasant and we were wondering if this forecast would affect our experience. We can still cancel our stay with a full refund. Should we do this or is snow in Charleston not as terrible as we expect? Would we still be able to experience the city with no issue? I really, really want to get away if the chances of being affected by this weather are very small.

Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
742 Reviews
from US$26.00*
Best Seller
Charleston Harbor History Tour
464 Reviews
from US$27.56*
Ghosts of Charleston Tour
95 Reviews
from US$25.00*
4 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Snow in Charleston

I will believe snow when I see it. We very, very rarely get snow, altho it does happen. Usually maybe an inch or two that is typically gone in about 36 hours or less. Sleet and freezing rain is a bigger issue. When that occurs, then icing on bridges, etc can become a problem.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
991 posts
774 reviews
2. Re: Snow in Charleston

Have not heard anything about snow. This week the concern is the slight possibility of ice on bridges and overpasses Thursday night into Friday morning. Coastal areas are not expected to get anything, only inland. Snow is not something Charleston gets very often.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Snow in Charleston

On New Year's Day there is currently a 40% chance of snow. However, they do not show any accumulation.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
991 posts
774 reviews
4. Re: Snow in Charleston

Same for our house up in Elloree with more chance, but no accumulation. There is accumulation the next Thursday into Friday. Showing 1 to 3 inches during that storm. Yea, since there is no snow plow and everything will close.

Reply to: Snow in Charleston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted