We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

We are going to be in Charleston arriving June 21st and leaving June 24th. We have never been and want to visit everything historic that we can as well as a trip to a nice beach (not a super touristy beach). We are looking at a place in Johns Island area. Is that going to be convenient for us to get around? Should we try to find something closer to the historic areas where we can just walk to everything? On a map it looks convenient but for all I know what looks like a 15 minutes drive might be a hour of stop and go traffic and struggling to find parking. What do you guys think?

26 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

Also, Immentioned during our trip we want to spend one day or afternoon at a beach, we are considering extending our trip by one day to include that and we don’t mind driving a couple hours if needed to get to the right beach. This would leave the 21st-24th just for Charleston and history things.

Also, the reason for the Johns Island location is I can find a 2 bedroom cottage for $180 a night and my budget is like 200 a night and there is apparently nothing in the historic district that isn’t about twice my budget. Would you guys suggest somewhere else that would be more convientient for us than staying at a private owners cottage in Johns Island? I suppose a hotel with all day/evening shuttle bus to the historic district may be better.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

John's Island has severe traffic problems at the best of times and is doing nothing but getting worse. Residential construction on the island is overwhelming and isn't stopping any time soon.

I definitely would not recommend John's Island for a short stay, but I also can't think of anywhere that will meet your price point and includes an all day/evening shuttle, either.

You might want to post a link to what you have found, or give us a location, some parts of the island are a bit more desirable than others..

If you choose to stay there, Beachwalker Park is a good choice for a weekday beach visit, weekend will be jammed with locals.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,261 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

John's Island is pretty remote from the historic district 50 minute to an hour under the best of circumstances.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,261 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

I used Kayak.com to check your dates for Mt. Pleasant (on the east side of the HD. I came up with several things in your budget.

Hilton Garden Inn ~ only a couple of years old for $188 a night and right across the bridge from the HD.

Wyndham Garden ~ for $194, a little further out.

Home 2 Suites ~ $110, brand new, further yet (but still not as bad as John's Island)

Homewood Suites ~ $179, each room has a small kitchen and sitting room. Near the Isle of Palms.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

Good ideas for regular hotel rooms, no shuttles, you will have to drive and park.

There are very few hotels with 2 bedrooms, and very few with shuttle service, let alone all day/evening shuttle service.

Two bedrooms, at your budget, will be very difficult, anywhere.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,261 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

I agree, your best bet is hotel room with 2 beds and sitting/kitchen areas.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,261 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

Hope the link works, I found these on airbnb.com for Mt. Pleasant ~ using your dates and $220 as the max price.

https:/…homes

I had to erase part of the link to get it to work, so it likely has less detail now.

Edited: 25 May 2018, 11:10
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
100 reviews
8. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

Where on Johns Island? Some things listed as Johns Island are actually on Kiawah or Seabrook. Your two bedroom cottage might be one of these.

Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

I should have been more specific....it’s close to the intersection of Maybank Hwy and River Rd. If you were going away from downtown into Johns island you would get onto River rd to the left and it looks to be within a mile or two.

We don’t have to have two rooms, I just thought it would be nice to have a two room place. BUT we certainly don’t want to be taking a hour to travel. If I was getting a hotel I’d get one room with 2 queen beds.

How hard is it to find parking in the historic district? Also, do people tend to drive all over the historic district from attraction to attraction or do people park in a central area and walk everywhere, or at least walk in a section then drive to another sections? In places like Savannah and Boston historic areas we tend to walk everywhere but someone told me they thought Charleston historic area is too big too do that.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?

Maybank and River Road area is a mess, road construction, I'd see if I could find a hotel.

Many garages in the Historic District, the area is very compact, you can park and walk.

Reply to: Is staying in Johns Island a good area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted