We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

new york
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

I was planning to go to Bermuda for our babymoon but just got the word 'no go' from my doctor so now I'm looking at either Keywest or Charleston. Any thoughts which is better? I know I'm posting in the Charleston forum but I'll post in Keywest as well.

We are looking at this as the last luxury/romantic/intimate/adult-only vaca before the baby comes.

Any recommendation on which luxury place to stay? Sorry I haven't done research in Charleston yet, was all set in my Bermuda itinerary, and now need to do last minute research before my third trimester.

We like beaches, food, anything beautiful nature related.

Thanks!

19 replies to this topic
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

I am biased because KW is my most favorite place in the world; regardless it's hard to go wrong with either choice. We've been going to KW for 30+ years and to Chasn since being stationed there in the early 70's. You didn't mention when you are going, but for the next few months, both will be hot, humid and sticky. It's currently off season in KW but a busy time in Chasn.

If beaches are a priority, I'd recommend Chasn. KW is essentially a coral bump in the ocean and not really a beach destination. We enjoy Zach Taylor beach in KW, primarily because of the shady palm tree areas adjoining the beach. The beach itself tends to be rocky. A few of the hotels have created small, sandy beach areas for guests. Chasn has a number of very nice beaches to choose from, including Kiawah Resort, which is a gorgeous luxury resort a ways outside of Chasn.

Both are old cities, and IMO the beauty of each is primarily architectural rather than natural beauty. In either, you will need to venture a little out of town to enjoy the areas' natural beauty. Both offer excellent options on dining, with a nod going to Chasn. Still, you will find all the top notch food you could wish for in either location, with very fresh seafood being the focus of both.

Atmospheres are very different, with Chasn being old Southern genteel class. KW is still laid back and easy going, although that is changing very rapidly as outside money has taken over. We don't do luxury when we stay in KW, preferring our old faithful B&B. If I were looking for luxury in KW, would probably look at either Ocean Key Hotel or the Marker, which is just a few years old.

For me, it's an easy choice. Somebody mentions KW and my bag is packed, but we make at least one mini-vacation to Chasn every year and never fail to enjoy it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
277 posts
206 reviews
2. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

I am also wondering what time of year you're talking about. Charleston has lots of ways to pamper yourself - luxury hotels include The Spectator, The Belmond at Charleston Place, The Dewberry, The Restoration, and others. Great places to eat, historic places to visit, and beautiful neighborhoods in the historic district to just wander around.

I've only been to Key West once, and do plan to go back to give it another chance, but I wasn't thrilled by the atmosphere - it seemed to really revolve around drinking, and not much to do really since the whole vibe seemed like Margaritaville. I doubt there's such a great variety of restaurants there in KW compared to here.

Charleston would have more to offer, including the area beaches as already mentioned.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

Charleston is super hot and humid in the summer (as in right now), and will be until October. Key West will be the same.

Think twice, if the heat affects you at all.

The Sanctuary on Kiawah Island might work for your, it's a 5 star hotel, you could hang at the pool and relax, island is very green and beautiful. A little less than an hour outside of Charleston.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 12:07
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

Ask your doctor about travel to Key West while pregnant. South Florida had incidence of Zika. With Key West being so close to impacted Caribbean areas such as Puerto Rico, that location may be of particular concern.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,252 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

You could look at the Wentworth Mansion in Charleston as well.

You might want to reconsider and think of something in Colorado, where it would be much cooler in the summer. Telluride,Vail, Aspen, Beaver Creek, etc.

new york
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

Thank you All!! I'll be traveling at the end of July, so yes super hot, but I'm ok with the heat having grown up in down under. But of course a beach access would be nice. My heart says Keywest only because I have always wanted to go there but my head says Charleston. I guess baby comes first, my doc really wants me to have easy access to a hospital more than anything else.

I'm not really familiar with Charleston at all, so I'll have to do a bit more research. Thank you for all the reccos thus far. Any other intimate/luxury hotels near the beach reccos would be appreciated.

Also specific beaches that we should visit, if we end up picking a hotel more downtown.

We plan to go for 4 nights. Thanks again!!

new york
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

Oh and yes, I will look at Colorado as well, but will it really be cooler in July??

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,252 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

YES!! We go to Telluride each August specifically to beat the heat! August in Telluride has high temps in the upper 70's, maybe low 80's and virtually no humidity. Over night lows in the 50's. Other mountain towns would be similar, slightly cooler or warmer based on altitude. You don't want Denver, not in the mountains and can be in the 90's everyday. And it is drop dead gorgeous scenery to boot! Do check with your doc about altitude, but shouldn't be a problem and a hospital is never more than an hour or two away. Telluride is very walkable also, a small town, lots of restaurants, shopping, spas, etc. Mountain Village is on the other side of the mountain and the 2 towns are connected by the free gondola (which has awesome views), so you really get 2 towns for one.

www.visittelluride.com

https://www.telluride.com/lodging/hotels

new york
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

@endosunshine wowww you just opened my eyes to new possibilities. I quickly google Telluride and it’s beautiful. Would you say it’s the best town vs the other you listed aspen vs vail etc? Sorry I’m must travel in the next 3-4 weeks so I feel like I don’t have much time to plan to I have to book now.

It will be luxurious enough? It’s our last splurge so want to make sure it’ll be nice!!! Thank you2!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,252 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston

Each town has it's own charm and scenery, but I think Telluride is hard to beat. Incredibly beautiful mountain surroundings. The bigger, more luxurious hotels are in Mountain Village, so look at Mountain Lodge, Lumiere, the Madeline, the Peaks and the Inn at Lost Creek. There are good restaurants in both areas ~ take a look at Chop House at the New Sheridan, La Marmot, 221 South Oak, Cosmopolitan, Rustico ~ are some of the nicer ones, plenty of casual too. Several of the hotels have their own spa, if that is of interest.

You could fly into Montrose, CO which is 1.5 hour (gorgeous) drive from Telluride, you could take a shuttle, as you won't need the car there. Denver is a 7 hour drive, so don't fly there, unless you want a long drive.

I'm sure that devotees of Aspen would say it is nicer and the same for other towns, but I love Telluride. Historic mining town turned ski resort.

We are probably going to get booted off here for being off subject ~ any other questions, send me a private message.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 22:47
Reply to: Babymoon in Keywest vs Charleston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted