We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Charleston, SC

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
One day in Charleston, SC

We are 2 adults going to MB in mid Oct with a flight out of Charleston. We plan to spend Thursday in Charleston with a flight out of CHS at noon on Friday, what area would be best for our overnight stay? Historic downtown Charleston sounds lovely...all recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Is the Thriller Boat Tour a good option?

too far inland
Level Contributor
102 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

I would recommend staying downtown myself. You can walk around and just look at building that way, I found a lot of beautiful things by wandering. Also you can easily walk to most things and not move or park a car. We stayed at the King Charles and it worked nicely. Take a carriage ride, it really is an different and interesting experience.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

Let us know more about your interests. Thriller is great if you like going really fast.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

When I think of Charleston I think of architecture, historic buildings and churches. As a change of pace the fast boat ride would add a little excitement provided it will fit logistically. Thank you for your interest..

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

For one day in Charleston I'd take a carriage ride and perhaps go to Ft. Sumter via the Harbor cruise. I personally wouldn't want to waste my time or money on a fast boat for so many reasons I don't have time to go into here. I have no idea why the boat you mentioned is high on the list of things to do - I personally don't know anyone who has been on it and can't imagine who would want to contribute to endangering animal life in that way.

Stay on your feet, peeking through beautiful gates, walking on cobblestone, learning about history, smelling whatever is in bloom, setting up those perfect photos. You will love Charleston - it is somewhat like a very very condensed New Orleans in many ways.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

It is a shame that you only have one day in Charleston. If you could possibly trim off a few days from MB, then I think your trip would be much more rewarding and enjoyable.

Myrtle Beach can be done in one day. But to fully experience Charleston you need a week!

Actually, the Thriller Boat Tour is awesome. I took my family from Phoenix on it earlier this summer, and we all had a blast. It is probably the best way to see Charleston Harbor from a watercraft, as opposed to the boring "Harbor Cruises" or "Tours to Fort Sumter." If it is calm, they take you out into the Atlantic and you get a fantastic view of Charleston's barier islands.

So, my suggestion (if you only have one day) is to do a morning Thriller Boat Tour (when the water is typically calmer) and then do a Carriage Ride later in the afternoon or evening.

And by all means, allow a few hours in the evening (near sunset and even after dark) to just walk around the historic district to get a true sense of the city.

Enjoy your one day visit! You will want to come back!

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

I can't wait to experience Charleston. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Charleston
Level Contributor
476 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

nanprix,

Since Charleston and New Orleans are so similar in architecture, history, etc, I would suggest that you look at doing a kayak tour. That would be something very different and fun.

8. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:36
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

I agree, stick with downtown, take a carriage ride and walk, walk, walk (I'm the first to suggest kayaking, but w/such a short time I'd stick w/wandering the Historic District, save kayaking for when you come back).

We stayed at Vendue Inn recently and loved it...included in the price are a full breakfast (from a menu), chilled fruit infused waters in the afternoon, wine and appetizers at 5:00 and cookies and milk at 9:00. We loved it, great location, perfect for walking and being able to take breaks throughout the day to rest or drop off purchases.

Maybe next time you'll spend your entire vacation in the Charleston area, think about exploring the local beaches (very uncrowded, no high-rises, very peaceful)!

Enjoy!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: One day in Charleston, SC

Having lived in both cities, I would respectfully disagree that the history and architecture is the same. SC was one of the original 13 colonies; the Civil War started in Charleston; our forts are very close by (easy to visit); we are "on" the ocean; etc etc.

Both are indeed beautiful southern cities but each is quite different and worth discovering these andn other differences on your own. Spend time on foot as you would in New Orleans if you had one day there - there are so many things to discover! That way when you return - which, most people do, you'll have a foundation upon which to build.