We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

Hello all -

I will be traveling with my family to Athens for a wedding this June. We intend on leaving six days early to spend some time in Charleston, Hilton Head and hopefully Savannah. For those of you who know the area, does two days in each location sound like a feasible plan? It's doubtful we will be dong much planned sight seeing since we'll have a 15 mo. old with us.

If feasible, can you all suggest some places to stay at each location? Or even an alternative itinerary if this one doesn't sound feasible?

Thanks in advance!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

With a 15-month-old, you might find that your plan involves a lot of driving and moving! Also, with only two days in Charleston, you will feel like you have barely scratched the surface.

Since June will bring wonderful beach weather, you might spend two days in Savannah and the rest of the time in Hilton Head. From Hilton Head, you can also visit the historic town of Beaufort.

Alternatively, you could spend two days in Savannah, stop for a while in Beaufort on your way to Charleston, and spend the rest of your time in Charleston. From Charleston, you can easily day trip to one of the nearby beaches. Or, you can stay at one of Charleston's beaches, such as Isle of Palms, and take frequent 20-minute drives into Charleston.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

I think it'll depend on your interests. As kiawah mentioned, if laying at the beach is a goal of yours, then a Savannah-Hilton Head visit would be perhaps best. If you are looking for a good mix of history, culture, beach, nature, etc, then I would suggest 3 days in Charleston, a day in Beaufort, and 2 days in Savannah.

Hilton Head is a great place to visit, but much of the island is within "plantations", or gated communities. Therefore, it is not really the best place for a day visit, but a great place for a long weekend or week-long stay. Be warned though that most rentals during the summer require a week's stay, so availability may be an issue.

If you stay in Beaufort, you can access the beach at Hunting Island State Park, about 20 minutes away. It's a really beautiful, natural, and undeveloped island (aside from visitor facilities and such). Charleston has some terrific island beach communities at Folly Beach, Sullivans Island, and Isle of Palms (IOP). In Savannah, you're limited to Tybee Island.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
127 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

Re: traveling with a 15 mo. old....

If you stay in downtown Charleston, you can walk back to the room whenever your child is ready for a nap or break without interrupting your whole day. Just go back out when you are ready.

In my experience, Savannah is much more spread out and you would likely have to drive/get a trolly, etc to get back to the room. Hilton Head is more of a neighborhood and again, you'd have to drive/ bike back to get to your room.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

I'd go for either HHI or Charleston (or one of Charleston's beaches) and stay put in one location.

You could do a day trip to Savannah from either HHI or Charleston. You'll get better prices if you keep your stay all in one location. Most beach rentals require a 7 day stay during the summer months (assuming you'd want a condo/villa over a hotel ).

5. Re: Charleston - HIlton Head - Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 06:19