We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Anniversary in Charleston

NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
April Anniversary in Charleston

Hubby and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary in Charleston just after the Home & Garden tours end. We are staying at the Mills House Inn and have a coupon to a Bulldog Ghost Tour (thanks Groupon). We also plan to spend 1/2 a day at Middleton Place.

I am trying to figure out restaurants & can't miss activities for our 3 day/ 3 night stay. I'd really appreciate advice on breakfast, lunch, & dinner places. We loved Hanks during our last visit and Poogan's has been a longtime family tradition. We prefer to stick to places where we can wear a nice pair of jeans and nice tops. Obviously, for a particularly great place we can throw some nicer clothes in our suitcase but I hate to ask hubby to wear a tie on vacation.

Thanks for your advice!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Anniversary in Charleston

Congrats on #10, now relax a little, hubby can leave the tie at home. Even the more upscale restaurants that we all regularly suggest (SNOB, High Cotton, 82 Queen, etc.) can all be visited wearing a nice pair of slacks and a polo or sport shirt...you may want to throw in the jacket, just for a little warmth in the evening after dark. Plan on visiting the Market Pavillion Rooftop Bar prior to your special dinner (late afternoon, before it gets crowded) and if Coconut Cake is something you enjoy, make it to Peninsula Grill for dessert.

Since you are already planning on MP, I suggest continuing your day outside of the HD and visit the Angel Oak, the Tea Plantation and possibly the winery/distillery. Plan your day so that you can have dinner on your way back to town and stop at either Mustard Seed or Boulevard Diner on Maybank Hwy on James Island.

Enjoy your anniversary visit!

South Carolina
Level Contributor
127 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Anniversary in Charleston

FYI- Market Pavilion does have a dress code last time I was there, so don't put away the dress shoes just yet....

Hyman's Seafood is very casual and very good! great service!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Anniversary in Charleston

I was at the rooftop bar at MP just 2 wks ago in dress jeans and a sweater (jacket too, it was rather blustery), no problems.

Been there many times during the summer in nice shorts/capris and top and sandals, not a problem...as stated above, nice slacks and a polo or sport shirt will be fine to go up there.

I wouldn't go in cut-offs and a tank, that would be inappropriate, but dress shoes are certainly not necessary.

4. Re: April Anniversary in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 07:18