We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

Our family has found a nice time to visit in April that works with our schedules (roughly Apr 6-13). Another poster mentioned that there is a tennis tournament in town during part of that time (not planning to attend ourselves)

Should we change our travel dates? We also have the option of flying in and heading out of town for the first 1/2 of our trip, and returning to finish the trip in Charleston. Basically I want to know if that is a poor time to visit due to large crowds everywhere.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

I think April is a beautiful time of year. The Family Circle Cup doesn't bring big crowds, but it's a popular time so there will be many others here just to enjoy the city. But it won't be like it will be in May when the Bridge Run brings so many thousands I stay home, lol. You should be fine. Enjoy!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

The tennis-goers will be heading to Daniel Island, so they won't cause much crowding in downtown Charleston. Also going on at that time is the Historic Charleston Foundation's "Festival of Houses and Gardens", which you might enjoy - historiccharleston.org/news_events/festival.…

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

Thanks for the info, we have booked a trip Apr 6-12.

We plan to be in the Charleston area for around 1/2 of the trip.

We are a family of 3 incl. myself, wife, and 1 1/2 yr old.

I have been hearing the best place for lodging is the historic area.

Would this still make sense for a young family, or are the beach areas a better idea? We would like to stay in one hotel for 3 days and not check in and out of different ones. A nice pool area would be great, esp one that fits a toddler. Access to the beach is a bonus I suppose, as we don't expect to swim in cold water BUT will be taking some walks I am sure.

Budget is not a big issue but really would like to try to be under $175 a night or so.

I have gotten a few ideas from my other thread. What hotels might suit us best (family oriented, mid-priced, clean, all around good experience)?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

Check out Meeting Street Inn, Doubletree, And King George Best Western.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

My edit time expired! Pools aren't big in the HD. Take the baby to the beach!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

From Folly Beach or Isle of Palms, you can be in the historic district in 20 minutes. From Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island, the drive is 40 minutes (but it is a lovely trip!). Driving into the HD is easy and parking for the day is comparatively cheap, especially considering what you save by renting at the beach and preparing some meals at home.

Check the rental-by-owner listings on VRBO to see the sorts of homes available at the Charleston beaches - vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…charleston-area

7. Re: Visiting Charleston during the Family Circle tennis tourn.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 13:26