We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsure where to stay

Michigan
13 posts
Save Topic
Unsure where to stay

I am debating where to stay on my trip to the area.

It is between Folly beach and Island of the Palms.

What is best for two young children ages 5 and 2?

What is closest and most convient to Charleston?

What has more to offer?

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unsure where to stay

It kind of depends when you're visiting. If you're planning a visit during spring break or prom time, Folly is not a good choice. Folly also has higher surf and for the young-uns it might be better to have the (usually) calmer waters of IOP. They're equally convenient to Charleston.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
South Carolina
Level Contributor
131 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unsure where to stay

Yes, both are close to downtown Charleston, but I think Isle of Palms may have a little more to offer for a young family. There are more housing and restaurant options on IOP.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
871 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unsure where to stay

I agree...both are really great choices. I personally prefer the atmosphere out on Folly, but that is more of a personal preference than anything else. The Tides on Folly Beach has all oceanfront rooms and is finishing up a full property remodel now. I have seen the new rooms out there and they are just terrific. Restaurant, pool, fitness center, location right by the pier, shops, all make it attractive to me.

www.follybeachhotel.net

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unsure where to stay

Your budget may play into which is better for you, Folly or IOP (Folly would probably be a little less than IOP). Each are about the same drive time from Charleston.

There are plenty of restaurant options on either island.

With little guys, you may prefer a condo over a hotel, more space and able to cook if so desired or just have breakfast in, other meals out.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unsure where to stay

tripadvisor.com/members-forums/MontagueMichi…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unsure where to stay

Hi, Montague. I realize you've been trying to plan a trip our way for quite a while. It's easy to access the information from your previous posts. All you have to do is sign in to TripAdvisor, click on "Your TripAdvisor" in the upper right of the screen. When the menu appears, click on "Contributions". When the Contributions page opens, just click on "Forums" on the menu on the left side of the screen. All of your previous threads will appear in clickable format, so that you can view our previous advice. Hope this helps!

7. Re: Unsure where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 11:25