We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage Rides

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
110 reviews
Carriage Rides

I have looked at prior posts, but can't find this question, so I apologize if this has been asked before. I see from what I have been able to find that there is some city ordinace that requires a lottery for group carriage rides, and that there are three possible routes. Is that still the law? If so, if you take a private carriage ride, are you still subject to the lotto?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,302 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Carriage Rides

That is still the law. It was designed to prevent excess carriages in certain neighborhoods. I did find an entry on the Palmetto Carriage Co. that refers to private carriages and says that cost begins at $125 and can be affected by where you choose to begin and end your tour. So that makes it sound like the private carriages have a choice. However, that's a big cost to get that choice. Two people on a "regular" carriage would be about $20-25 each.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Carriage Rides

Thanks for the fast reply. I must say I am still in shock that such a law exists, but I guess that shows how popular Charleston is.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,302 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Carriage Rides

Well, our streets were designed 300 years ago and many are quite narrow. It can be difficult on some just for cars to pass one another, then add a horse and carriage to the mix and you begin to see why you can't have too many in one area at the same time. All the routes are fun and interesting, but some do include more of the "famous" sights. The law has been around a while now and I don't see it going away.

PS - lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. Couldn't wait to get back here. :-)

4. Re: Carriage Rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 04:16