We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B near the water for 3 women?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
B&B near the water for 3 women?

Hi, all!

I am hoping y'all can recommend a B&B or a historic hotel or inn that can accommodate 3 to a room. My mother and I are bringing my daughter to visit USC on a Friday, and have decided to drive on over to Charleston and have a long weekend together through Monday. We've never visited but, have been wanting to forever.

We will be there in 2 weeks so, I may have slim pickings but, hoping y'all can quickly point me in the right direction.

Mother would love for it to be historic, near the water and right in the middle of everything. Daughter and I would love for it to have a suite type setup with super comfortable beds. Some of the great B&B's we've stayed in have unusual configurations with 2 rooms opening to a sitting room, etc. I know these are hard to find which is why I need help:)

I want to avoid booking 2 rooms, with taxes, fees, parking fees assessed per room... things are just so high.

Thank you so much for any and all suggestions.

TTJ

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

The only B&B I can think of any where near the water is on Folly Beach, don't know if they will take 3 to a room. Oh, it's not historic, maybe old, but not historic, never stayed there...

http://www.follybeachsidebb.com/

The Charleston area beaches have great accomodations which are mostly villas/condos or single family houses. You could easily find a villa/condo on Folly Beach, that would put you within walking distance of bars, restaurants and tee shirt shops...FB is sort of a funky old-fashioned beach town.

To be in the middle of everything in Charleston, you would have to stay in the Historic District, which is great fun, but not near the beach (20 mins. is the closest, during off drive time). In the HD, you would have walking access to shopping, tours, museums, world-class restaurants, this may be the "middle of everything" you are asking about.

There are plenty of older hotels at many different price points, don't know about the B&B's having the configuration you are suggesting.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

There are lovely hotels and b&bs near or not far from the water in the Battery area (near beautiful White Point Park as well) and up the eastern side where you can also enjoy Charleston Waterfront Park. What a wonderful place for a long walk or carriage ride.

Go to the hotels tab along the left margin here. Don't know why TA doesn't do a separate b&b option...or at least the general "accommodations". You'll get your bearings and see there are lots of b&bs in Charleston but you need to go to hotels first and then click along the left for b&bs.

We used to love to stay in Charleston with the free night certificate from American Historic Inns. I don't know that many are doing that in Charleston now but you can check. If not, perhaps you can use it elsewhere on your trip. They also have an offer now where they give you a second free night certificate if you call for the book before Feb. 14: http://www.iloveinns.com/

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,553 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

Historic Charleston is a narrow pennisula located (according to the glib, old Charleston saying) "where the Ashley and the Cooper meet to form the Atlantic Ocean".

No matter where you stay in the historic district, you are never more than a short, scenic amble from water. However, since all of Charleston is "low rise", you must be right on the water (or on the roof) to get water views from most locations.

The Palmer House is the only B&B I know of with full water views from the piazzas. Your mother would love looking out over Charleston harbor from the Battery, with Ft Sumter in the distance! I know nothing about the interior accommodations at this B&B, but the exterior is exactly what you envision - http://www.palmerhomebb.net/

The luxurious Harbour View Inn hotel also has water views. http://www.harbourviewcharleston.com/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

Vendue Inn is a hotel with a B&B feel and is about 1/2 block from the water. Most of the historical district is a short walk to the water (no beach) so you might try Mills House, too. It is a historical hotel that has been bought by Holiday Inn but you would never know it. It is several blocks to the water. Both Vendue and Mills House are in great locations.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

Folly Beach would be a 20 min drive (non rush hour) from the downtown historic district. When you look at hotels/B&B's make sure that it is in "historic district" as opposed to "downtown". Many things that are listed as downtown are not in the historic district and not in reasonable walking distance of it.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,553 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

Phone the hotel or B&B to find out how they can best accommodate three women. Newer hotels, like the Doubletree in the historic district, have small "suites" that would give you more chance to spread even while staying all in the same room. You could also consider renting an apartment or carriage house in the historic disctrict.

Weekend availability, for two weeks from now, may be extremely limited. Note that Feb 17 - 19 is SEWE (South Eastern Wildlife Exposition) in Charleston. And, the President's Day Holiday (same weekend!) is always popular of city breaks.

7. Re: B&B near the water for 3 women?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 05:21