We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

We have driven from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant, taking Hwy. 17. Is that the best route? We drove through what appeared to be some rough neighborhoods crossing the peninsula to get to the bridge and want to make sure that in the late evening that is a safe route.

Thank you for any advice.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

I would take US 17 to i-526. Either stay on i-526 to go deeper into Mt. P , IOP or Sullivans or take i-26 toward the arthur Ravenal bridge. All highway essentially. Im former fedex ground driver and currently rideshare driver for Charleston Nights.

cheers.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,296 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

I disagree. That route would be FAR out of your way. Simply take the Crosstown, it is by far the most efficient way and is a very heavily travelled route, both day and night. I have driven the Crosstown thousands upon thousands of times over the years, both day and night, including back in the day when it was more seedy. There is NO reason to be concerned about taking that route.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

I second endo's route using Crosstown as the route from KI to Mt P. I use Crosstown 99.9% of the time from Seabrook to Mt P.

The only caution would be if you have a small (or low) vehicle and it is or has rained. There are a couple of sections of Crosstown that still flood despite all the work down to it.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

I had car trouble on the "sketchy" part of the Crosstown once. People came out of their homes to help me. The Crosstown is fine.

5. Re: Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2015, 06:17
6. Re: Drive from Kiawah to Mt Pleasant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2016, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
Recent Conversations