We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

We are considering coming back to Kiawah for Thanksgiving. We rented a condo with access to the resort amenities, but due to a bunch of unexpected expenses recently, we were planning to rent somewhere less expensive this time. Plus with the weather being colder, we thought access to the pools might not be as big of a deal. Would you agree?

Also a couple of other questions:

Any of the neighborhood pools heated?

At Thanksgiving- is it too cold to see the alligators in the lagoons and the dolpins where the river meets the ocean?

Lastly, we usually like to volunteer as a family on Thanksgiving Day. Any where that you would recommend us checking on volunteering in the Charleston area? We have 3 children ages 7-15 that would be volunteering with us. In the past we have volunteered at a ministry serving Thanksgiving dinner and our kids love that.

Thanks so much for your help!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

One80Place (formerly known as Crisis Ministries) is a location in Charleston that has a homeless shelter and serves food. I would suggest contacting them soon ~ they often get an influx of people wanting to help on a holiday.

www.one80place.com

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Here is a family volunteer opportunity coordinated by the Kiawah Island Golf Resort -

kiawahresort.com/about-the-resort/in-the-com…

You are correct that pools will not be essential in late November; however, the ocean is often still warm enough for swimming. None of the neighborhood-owned pools are heated and most will be closed for the season before Thanksgiving.

Just like humans, dolphins are busy at all times of year. Alligators hunker down in the mud on chilly days, but you will see them catching some sun whenever they can.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Thanks for the fast responses!

I asked about dolphins because one year we did a dolphin trip in Hilton Head over Thanksgiving break and the tour guide told us there were less dolphins around (or maybe active) during the colder months. I wondered if that was true in Kiawah as well.

Any thoughts on the weather during Thanksgiving?

Edited: 04 November 2015, 17:48
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Kiawah has about 20+ dolphin who reside in the River all year round, never go out to the ocean.

Take a kayak trip on the River, you may very well see them.

Don't know if my friend Ralph is going to be around over the holidays, but you might check w/him.

www.kayakcharleston.net

Weather is variable, cool to quite warm, although it's been cloudy and rainy for a couple of days, it's still upper 70's and the blessed humidity hasn't even thought about leaving us yet. Hear there are some cooler temps forecast for next week.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Weather is always unpredictable. One year we swam in the ocean on Thanksgiving;; another year we woke up Thanksgiving morning to a rare Charleston snowfall.

Our local Kiawah River pod of Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins lives here full time. November is a great month for a kayak tour on the river, where you are very likely to see the dolphins.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

In case you were worrying about dolphins in a "river" ....

The Kiawah River is salt water. It is the ocean ingress separating Kiawah Island from Johns Island. All the advantages of the ocean without the disadvantages. Very comfy life for the resident dolphins!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

For more reasonable accommodations, be sure to check out Wyndham Vacation Rentals Kiawah. I just search the web for their site to browse. They have some really nice rentals and are MUCH more reasonably priced than they resort because they don't have to charge extra for the full club amenities.

The weather can be hit or miss, but if you're lucky, Kiawah at thanksgiving is amazing!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Small correction ...

I think Scott N means to say "full resort amenities" of the Kiawah Island Golf Resort (i,e, pools, discounts on golf and tennis, on island tranportation, etc.) You can view the full list of resort benefits in this link:

http://www.kiawahresort.com/about-the-resort

If you were to inquire about "club amenities", you would be told that the "club" on Kiawah is a separate entity - entirely private, and not available to any rental guest without sponsorship by a club member.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Thanks! We stayed in Kiawah last summer in a resort managed property, so I undersand the difference now (although that was confusing when we were trying to book our first trip!).

We are now booked and super excited about coming back to Kiawah. Thanks for all your help!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving- Alligators, Dolphins, Volunteering?

Thanks Scott! We were already looking at the Wyndham rentals as they were offering some amazing deals. We were able to find a place right on a lagoon. I think it will be perfect for a Thanksgiving trip.

Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
Recent Conversations