We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiawah Island Activies

Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kiawah Island Activies

We are having a surprise 70th birthday getaway to Kiawah April 8-11, about 10-12 women. We have rented a house on Seabrook Island and are looking for a group activity for one of the days. Golf is already planned for most of the group as well as some shopping. We are looking for something else that would be fun. This is a pretty active bunch of gals, but not looking for anything too strenuous. If anyone has any suggestions on an activity/tour, we would appreciate it!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiawah Island Activies

Sorry, but I'm confused...you've booked a house on Seabrook but are looking for activities on Kiawah???

Unless you book golf or reservations for dinner at a restaurant on Kiawah, you won't have access to the island.

Try the new 48 Wine Bar at Freshfields one evening (I say one because it can get $$$ quickly), 48 different brands of wine available for sampling every day.

I hope you have at least one day planned in Charleston, maybe check out Charleston Cooks for a personal class. Take a carriage ride and then just start walking, peeping in gardens, galleries, shops, etc.

Please get back to Seabrook before dark, it's a long drive back on unknown roads, wise to be proactive and get back early...plenty of good restaurants close by (you can have lunch in CHS at SNOB or Magnolias, both wonderful).

Give me a little more info about the Kiawah thing and I can help.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiawah Island Activies

You cannot enter the gates of Kiawah proper, but you can access Kiawah's 10-mile beach through Beachwalker County Park. Turn right on Beachwalker Drive (just before Kiawah's main gates) and drive to the park's parking lot at the end of the road. Then, you can walk west down unspoiled Capt. Sam's Spit for lovely views of ocean and seabirds or walk east toward The Sanctuary Hotel with beach views of some of the homes and condos on Kiawah.

Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiawah Island Activies

Thanks for letting me know about the access to Kiawah and restaurant suggestions. We are planning a day in Charleston and are looking for another activity or place to visit in the area.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiawah Island Activies

Plantation???

Visit Middleton Place in the morning, have a late lunch there, then move on to Drayton Hall, which is just down the road.

Two totally different experiences.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiawah Island Activies

I'm guessing that you don't know that Kiawah and Seabrook are private, gated communities, each separate from the other.

Kiawah does have the Kiawah Island Golf Resort, which includes The Sanctuary (5 star hotel), 5 golf courses and 6 or 7 restaurants scattered around the 10 mile island (we also have a 10 mile, uninterrupted, beach).

Seabrook does not have any commercial enterprise on the island, strictly residential, 3 mile beach.

Between the two islands is Freshfields, our dining, shopping and entertainment venue...there are restaurants ranging from sports bar, to pizza, to coffee shop, to upscale sit-down, plus a Marble Slab Creamery. There is a Harris Teeter here, as well as a small drugstore, w/a soda fountain. A handful of fun stores, great place to spend an afternoon.

Bohicket Marina is between Seabrook and Freshfields, with a few more restaurants and bars, plus a few fun stores.

There are plenty more restaurants within a 20 minute drive of the islands, if you need ideas. With a group your size, you should make reservations anywhere you go, all the places (except for those within the Resort) are pretty small. Make reservations when you go to CHS, as well.

6. Re: Kiawah Island Activies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2017, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
Recent Conversations