We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

S. Carolina
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

We are looking at villas in the East Beach area for a trip at the end of March and found two we liked, one with resort amenities and one without. We were trying to decide if it was worth going for the resort amenities or not (for an additional $40 upcharge per night). We have a 9 year old and a 7 year old who would be disappointed if they saw the water park and could not swim. However, what are the chances that it will be nice enough to swim at that time of the year? Is getting a villa with resort amenities worth it in March? I know it's all weather dependent and no one can predict the weather, but what else is included in these resort amenities? We would also be looking at renting bikes and possibly a kayaking trip. No tennis or golf for us.

Edited: 07 February 2016, 22:27
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

The Night Heron Children's Pool is open in late March, but the West Beach pool doesn't open until late May...

http://www.kiawahresort.com/recreation/pools

I would guess, that even though the Night Heron Park pool is heated, it's probably not going to be enough to make it fun.

Bikes, for sure!

Kayak trip, check w/my friend Ralph...

www.kayakcharleston.net

It's been cool here all week, 45 and rainy today, supposed to make it to 58 tomorrow (I hope so, planning to ride my bike to a meeting in the morning).

I don't know if you'd get any discounts on bikes or trips, you'd have to check w/the Resort.

Check w/Island Bike for rentals, that's who we use to service our bikes...

http://islandbikeandsurf.com/

S. Carolina
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

Thank you, KiawahBeth. I suspected as much. I personally don't like getting into the pool unless it's been 90 degrees for a couple of days, but my kids will put up with more cold for the fun factor! I think I have found a workaround if they are bent on swimming, which is to sign them up for kamp kiawah kids night out at the Sanctuary indoor pool. I will check out the bike and kayak links as well.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

Resort amenities include discounts and priority booking on activities. If you will be on Kiawah during the busy Easter vacation week, the "priority booking" might have some value to you. The Night Heron pool, which is in East Beach near the rentals you are considering, will be open and I'm sure lots of kids will be in the water even if it is too chilly for their parents.

http://www.kiawahresort.com/easter-at-kiawah

S. Carolina
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

Good point, Kiawahvilla, but I went ahead and booked a property without resort amenities as I had snoozed and lost the option to book the one that included amenities. I was having trouble finding properties that would rent for less than a week so I went with what I could get. How far in advance can non-resort guests book activities and do you have a feel for what kind of activities would fill up the quickest? Would that also include dining reservations?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

You will be fine in March without the amenities.

Book right away for special one-off events such as like the Kamp Kiawah Kids Night Out and the "Egg"streme Family Kayaking Hunt. You can wait longer to reserve activities that occur on a regular basis.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

If you are considering a private kayak trip w/Ralph, I'd be contacting him now.

7. Re: Resort amenities worth it for a trip in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2017, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
Recent Conversations