We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RipCurrents

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Topic
RipCurrents

AGAIN someone took issue with me about ripcurrents, they said that ONLY after big storms do you have to worry about ripcurrents. NOT TRUE. Go to WPDE.com, this morning was a story on the news about Tues/Wed being a moderate risk for rip currents, today would be lower risk, RIpcurrents ARE not just something to be concerned about after storms. My comments are not always popular, I tell things to educate, I am sorry some vacationers get mad because I talk about RISKS associated with the beach. I could go on and on about the stupid things I see people do when on vacation, its like they leave their common sense at home. A 33 yr old NJ man died yesterday morning after trying to save his 10 yr old son from the water. It did not give particulars but this story was attached to the ripcurrent story. You are most at risk 2 hours before low tide to half hour after.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: RipCurrents

The weather channel has been warning all week about riptides from Savannah up through the outer banks. If caught in one swim parrallel to the beach until out of the current. Do not try to fight it and swim in.

John

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RipCurrents

Very true John! If a person keeps their wits about them; swimming horizontally to escape them is not too difficult. Being a pretty good swimmer is a necessity. Staying below waste deep takes it out of play also. It does not have to be bad weather either. Some places have them much more often than others however. Caswell Beach, half way between NMB and Wilmington is well known for them. A friend and myself pulled 5 young kids to safety when we were teenagers. The Grand Strand has them for sure but it's much more docile than some of the neighbors!

www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/overview.shtml

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RipCurrents

John anf Gone,

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I almost drowned as a youngster due to the ripcurrent in Florida when I was about 10. I remember swimming horizontal and trying to ride the top of the waves to get out of it. Eventually made it back to shore but found myself what seemed like 300 yards from our hotel. My mother was frantic! I have an 11 year old and a 5 year old and we warn them all the time about this. I never take my eyes off of them while at the beach.

Saxonburg, PA
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RipCurrents

People have to know the difference between Undertow and Rip Tides. The undertow will always be there. It's the effect of the ocean coming back on itself when the tide reaches the shore. The riptides are something much more severe.

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RipCurrents

Good point Ron.

John (from NE Ohio not too far away from you I think). We were in Western PA a few weeks ago at Idlewild Park. Great park geared for kids ages 2-12.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RipCurrents

Ripcurrents maybe more severe but undertows for small children can be just as dangerous. I was a teenager in chest deep water, the water on the bottom was moving so hard it knocked me off my feet and pulled me down, same time a wave going over my head. When I reached the surface, I was treading water, while trying to catch my breath, because of the wave, it was a scary few moments and I was a teen, I can't imagine had that strong current caught a smaller child.

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RipCurrents

I know where you're coming from Hart1. I'm sure many others have had that experience also. It's sad to see every year young people drowning. Just the other day a 2 year old drown in this area at a local lake. No rip current there but just the same water is dangerous if you are not careful.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RipCurrents

We use to live on a large lake, very sad indeed. Respect for the water is so important and PARENTS just because you are on vacation from home, you are not on vacation from being a parent. Pay attention to what your children are doing instead of letting them run wild.

Our condo development last year rented to vacationers and I can't tell you the number of times children were left unattended in the pool area, to act like "lunatics", bothering everyone else, not to mention the risk of one of them getting hurt.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: RipCurrents

Hart, if I may take a little liberty with hi-jacking your post, which is very good incidently, the jist of the matter is: Have fun in the sea but cautiously respect it because it is a lot more powerful than any one of us.

Be save and enjoy,

John

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RipCurrents

One would think that most people would have common sense, but they don't and what's worse they don't use common sense when it comes to their children playing at the beach and in the water. SO if I have to beat a dead horse I will. Parents, there are things in the water, alive and not alive, that can hurt your child. Pay attention, watch them, put a life jacket on them if they are very small. Just because they are wading in knee deep water, does not mean they can't get hurt. Just like boating safety, you would be surprised how many parents do not know the law, children under 12 must wear a life jacket and DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN HANG OFF THE BOW OF THE BOAT WHILE YOU ARE UNDER WAY! Its against the law and its irresponsible, yet we see it all the time.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations