We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RipCurrents

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Topic
RipCurrents

AGAIN someone took issue with me about ripcurrents, they said that ONLY after big storms do you have to worry about ripcurrents. NOT TRUE. Go to WPDE.com, this morning was a story on the news about Tues/Wed being a moderate risk for rip currents, today would be lower risk, RIpcurrents ARE not just something to be concerned about after storms. My comments are not always popular, I tell things to educate, I am sorry some vacationers get mad because I talk about RISKS associated with the beach. I could go on and on about the stupid things I see people do when on vacation, its like they leave their common sense at home. A 33 yr old NJ man died yesterday morning after trying to save his 10 yr old son from the water. It did not give particulars but this story was attached to the ripcurrent story. You are most at risk 2 hours before low tide to half hour after.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: RipCurrents

One year.. while in SC ... staying at Harbor Lights...

two small children were left unattended at the pool...

Mommy is shopping... Daddy is golfing.. I called security...

of course...

they were 8 and 10

unbelievable...

and water scares me.. I must look like an idiot in the ocean...

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: RipCurrents

We belong to a local YMCA that is just beautiful full with all the modern exercise equipment, whirlpool, heated indoor and outdoor pools and I've noticed the same thing. Mom or Dad are off by themselves while the kid(s) are left alone. Thank God this place has a lifeguard at every corner, water slide, and even in the realy shallow water where I see two year olds. It is a shame some parents are not more responsible. I exercise also but at least one parent stays behind at all times to keep an eye on the kids.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: RipCurrents

off the subject.. a bit..

but a dad.. left his kids at local restaurant.. and

couldn't understand that he did anything wrong..

He said, I paid the bill.. I left them to run to home depot

while they had dessert...

Um.. they were 7 and 8

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: RipCurrents

That's terrible. Especially in this day and age. I will not comment anymore as you said it is off topic a bit but stuff that like happens and it is just unbelievable! Working until 4:00 so better finish up before heading home. Two more weeks from tomorrow for me! Can't wait to ride some waves!!!!

usa
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: RipCurrents

Hopefully, everyone will read & learn! Twice I was a victim of rip currents in the Gulf & luckily I knew to swim parrallel to the beach. Neither time had there been a storm & one of the rip currents pulled me so far out, I was shark bait!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: RipCurrents

Todays MyrtleBeachonline.com newspaper story-just another please BE CAREFUL-

Two Pawleys Island police officers rescued a mother and child from drowning on July 4.

The officers, Cpl. Matthew Elliott and Officer Michael Fanning, were on normal patrol along Springs Avenue near the beach when they saw two swimmers struggling in a strong undertow about 8 p.m., according to Chief Guy Osborne.

A nine-year-old boy was being swept out by the strong currents, and his mother, while attempting to rescue him, also got caught in the currents.

Elliott eventually jumped in the water and pulled both victims to safety.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: RipCurrents

Another danger is the flotation devices like inner tubes, etc. The child (or even an adult) is happily bobbing around and doesn't realize that he/she has floated into much deeper water. They get out of the tube and can't swim to shallow water. These floats also get caught up in rips.

18. Re: RipCurrents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 21:17