We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the weather in mid to late May ?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How is the weather in mid to late May ?

I am going to a wedding and am trying to figure out what to pack. The forecast (10 day) says there may be isolated thunderstorms. Too cold to go to the beach I assume?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the weather in mid to late May ?

Too cold?? No. During May...and pretty much all summer, the forecast will almost always say..."chance of isolated, or scattered, thunderstorms"

Is the wedding ON the beach? If so...pack a light sweater or shoulder wrap of some sort. It is breezy on the beach...so it is a little cooler than it would be inland.

Bring your bathingsuit of course!!

Have fun!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the weather in mid to late May ?

We went in early April and I was on the beach almost every day ! Didn't go swimming, but... the weather was awesome. Since you're from NY, I'd suggest your summer clothes. The highs are forecast in the upper 70s and the lows in the upper 60s.... can't beat it.

Thunderstorms/rain forecasts are typical spring/summer weather, yet rarely indicate all-day rain. Your mileage may vary, but a normal day on the Grand Strand is sunny with scattered clouds and a South-Easterly breeze around 10-15 mph (occasionally stronger, secure the beach umbrella !).

In the later-afternoon or early evening a thunderstorm may drench the area for ~15 minutes. By the time you pack the beach gear and head back to your room, the rain is finished and the sun back out; people are again romping in the waves.

Have fun !

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the weather in mid to late May ?

May should be nice for you and your friends wedding. I personaly wouldnt be venturing in the water but thats just me I'm a July/Aug kinda water person.

Pack something light to go on your arms for the evenings and you should be good. If you are a cold natured person then maybe pack something a little warmer. If you dont have exactly what you need there are a TON of places to run to to shop.

Have a great time

4. Re: How is the weather in mid to late May ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 00:18