We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

or are there comparable destinations closer to the Canadian border?

My husband and I are from Toronto and planning to embark on a U.S. roadtrip next week but having trouble choosing a "destination".

He wants to do Boston/Cape Cod and I want to head south where there are warmer waters.

We're both young/no kids so the "family" attractions aren't a priority for us but we're basically looking for a few days of beach relaxing and a few days city wandering, sightseeing and shopping.

Any advice/recommendations?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
728 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

We've been to beach towns up and down the east coast from Maine to Florida over the past 40 years or so. I don't like cold water, and have found Myrtle great (in the summer or early fall).

Is it worth the drive; yes, then you'll be able to judge whether it's worth going again.

We've been 3 times, and may go again this September.

Tom

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Cape Cod is nice,however, you are right it's just not a warm water destination. Mrytle is great with lots to do and very nice beaches. You should look into Ocean City Md which has a great beach a fantastic 3 mile boardwalk with lots to do. OC is more expensive then Mrytle but it is also a great destination.

Montreal
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Hello Adrenalina,

I've never been to Cape Cod but I heard some nice comments about it so I can't really make an honest comparison with Myrtle Beach.

We're from Montreal and we've been to Myrtle Beach (North Myrtle Beach actually) six or seven times and we're going back again this year. When we were a bit younger we went with all three kids (they're all grown up now) and they have very fond memories of it.

We just love everything about the place. We're sea and beach lovers and obviously the ocean is the primary reason we go there, The beach is long and wide, clean and the water warmer than in the north. There's also a lot of things to see and do besides the beach. There are lots of attractions, shows, shopping malls what have you. When the kids were with us we used to take them to a diferent mini-golf every night, there's a bunch of them all with very elaborate settings. Obviously we don't do that so much anymore. The wife and I are both (real) golfers and there are countless golf courses in the area so we like that as well. I could go on and on but in short I don't think it's possible to get bored in Myrtle Beach. Personnaly even without all the surrounding attractions I'd be content just sitting on the balcony of our oceanfront condo and listening to the sound of the waves, i don't believe there exist a more relaxing sound then this one.

That being said it is a long drive. Not quite sure what the distance is from Toronto but from Montréal it's roughly 1800 kilometers, so we have to count on average a good 18 hours of driving, not including the stops. We do it in two days making a stopover around Richmond Virginia for the night.

Voila... hope that helps, if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask. there are no shortage of people here who will be more than willing to give you answers including myself.

Bon voyage!

Edited: 24 June 2010, 13:15
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

I am not Canadian, but offer this. Two years in a row I had guests from Canada for their first trip to MB. Both times they called and wanted to stay an extra week. Unfortunately, I had previous bookings but they were able to find another condo in the same resort and stay an extra week. I think that says something.

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Fly Direct Air out of Niagara Falls, NY. As low as $79. + taxes each way.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Hi, we're heading down on Canada Day for our first time and can't wait. We live 1 hr from Toronto and will leaving at 3am as we want to cross the border early. My boss said they made it down in 14 hrs and that was with stops.

One day down, One day back and 3 days to rest and relax and see the sights. Plan on having a blast on July 4th.....lol ;o)

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Oh yea, went to Cape Cod last year for the long weekend and had a wonderful time.......yes the water was still cold, but so much to see and do. The people of the Cape are wonderful. It was a long drive but so worth it.

We will do it again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

We are from Toronto and planning to visit Myrtle beach in August. 2 years ago we spent 2 weeks in Cape Cod. The water was very cold. Last year we visited Virginia Beach and loved it a lot. It is 450 km. closer to Toronto if compare with Myrtle beach. The ocean was very warm 24C. But Virginia beach oceanfront hotels are more expensive.

We decided to go to Myrtle beach this year for more warm ocean (28C) and more fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

Although I've never been out to Cape Cod, I've been to Myrtle Beach several times (I missed out on going last year due to getting a new job and didn't think I'd have vacation time...turned out I did get vacation time but by then it was too late and I'm missing out going down this year because I'm going to Cuba instead with gift certificates that I won from a work function).

I would much prefer to go down to Myrtle Beach than out to Cape Cod. The reason is that I LOVE the hot hot weather, love white sandy beaches and love swimming in the warm waters of the ocean. The drive isn't too bad - I live closer to Hamilton than I do Toronto and drive down to Myrtle Beach. On average, going down we could do it in about 15 hours and coming back we averaged about 15-17 hours (the traffic this side of the border usually slows us down considerably).

Edited: 25 June 2010, 11:43
Montreal
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians: is Myrtle Beach worth the drive ... ?

I find Idypylot's boss 14 hrs estimate, with stops, extremely hard to believe, unless said boss is driving at 100 miles an hour all the way. And then again...