We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

Toronto
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

so myrtle beach has come on the radar as a potential destination.

I literally know not a thing about myrtle beach.

We're both 34, have a near 4 year old daughter and a 6month old son.

Is there stuff for us to do?

What areas should I be looking at to stay?

and waht are the good hotels?

I wouldn't mind being able to get something that's a 1 or 2 bedroom with kitchen. need a kitchen to prepare stuff for the young one.

any help would be very much appreciated

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

We just got back from Myrtle Beach, stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, and loved it. It's not too kid-friendly, however, but the location on N. Ocean Blvd was really great, so you may want to look into that area. You will probably want something near Broadway at the Beach (great shopping, restaurants, and Ripley's Aquarium) and near the Strand. Anywhere on Ocean Blvd would be good. I noticed quite a lot of families while we were there. You will not be bored, as there is tons to do, from walking on the piers and watching the fish, to the aquarium, the beaches, to the attractions along the boardwalk, etc.

Captain's Quarters, Caribbean Resort, and Breaker's Resort are all in a great location and are geared more toward families. Most of the resorts in Myrtle Beach have kitchens as well.

canada
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

Have a look at Breakers. They have a pirate ship for the kids and a nice lazy river and kiddy pool. It is close to alot of things. There is a restaurant acroos the street called Papa's that is convenient and pretty good food. There is also a Starbucks across the street and an icecream shop. The only thing is the Parking is also across the street, so with young ones you should be aware of this. There is an elevator in the parking facility so that does help quite a bit. The Breakers one bedrooms are very spacious and include kitchen. The two bedrooms would get you a washer/dryer right in the unit. There is a laundry room in the resort if you choose the 1 bedroom. Carribean is also a good choice. Happy Hunting!

Va Bch
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

We always stay at the Long Bay Resort. They are located at 7200 N Ocean Blvd. They have a kiddie pool area as well as indoor/outdoor pools and a nice lazy river. It is direct oceanfront, so not a long walk to the beach.

We've stayed in the 3 bdrm units and they have a full kitchen and 2 bathrooms and a washer/dryer. We've also stayed in the Suites. We are a family of 4 also. There are either a King or 2 Queens in the first room. A small galley style kitchen that has a sink, full fridge, full stove and microwave. 1 bathroom and no washer/dryer. The front room has a pull out couch, and a murphy wall bed,and table & chairs and then the balcony.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,297 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

I don't mean to sound smart, but Google "Myrtle Beach, SC" You will get tons of info on what is available to do and see. Then you can ask specific questions here. It's a little difficult to answer when people have no idea what you are interested in. ;-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

I understand that google is a great resource

but links also appear where people are paying for the placement

and sometimes some sites aren't what they appear to be

sometimes it's easier to just ask a question regarding family type vacations and get a bunch of responses

what's good for a 30 year old couple, a toddler and an infant is usually pretty standard across the board

that's my reasoning for posting here prior to getting too involved in a google search

thanks for all your help

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

Great suggestions above. Also look at The Caribbean Resort or Ocean Reef. You can find it and the others mentioned to the left of the screen under Myrtle Beach Hotels. MB has mile after mile of oceanfront resorts and most of them have several room categories such as suites with a full kitchen. The Caribbean as well Breakers & Anderson are centrally located and would be good choices for a 1st time visitor. The Caribbean borders a residential area so it's a little bit quieter & less traffic. It also has great amenities for kids. Ocean Reef is quite a bit north & sits on a nice stretch of the beach.

Toronto
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

what about in terms of areas?

north, south, other areas?

can someone explain the difference and/or what should be desired?

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

North to south. At north end of Grand Strand you have City of North Myrtle Beach. NMB is a city by itself. Not part of Myrtle Beach. Four beach sections. Each one approx. 2 miles in length.

Rental options range from large resorts with long lists af ammenities to small generic condo buildings. Many beach houses but house might be too much for only four of you.

NMB is a bit less congested and noisy than Myrtle. Ocean front is farther away from RT 17 and little through traffic along Ocean Blvd. 1/2 to 3/4 hour drive to most attractions. Not bad considering you'll have at least 1/4 hour no matter where you stay.

Kings Road area. In between NMB and MB. Some nice resorts in that area. Quiet. Not a lot of traffic.

North end of Myrtle Beach. Not to be confused with NMB. Nice resorts through there.

Farther south into MB. Maybe 25th Ave North down into the South Ave numbers. Very congested and noisy. Caters more to teens and younger adults.

Very south end of MB, Surfside and Garden City. Very similar to North Mtyrtle Beach. Surfside leans more towards large beach houses while Garden City is good mix of buildings and houses.

Things to do. Dining. Everywhere.

Shopping. You have a smaller shopping complex at south end of NMB called Barefoot Landing. Laid out like old water front fishing village.They have small wildlife display where you can have pics made of you and kids with either monkey or tiger.

Broadway At the Beach is much larger and modern shopping, dining, entertainment complex located in heart of MB. Both Broadway and Barefoot have Build A Bears and such for the daughter. For Dad and son. A "Build A Car" store at Broadway.

NMB there is a small amusement park that sets up during summer months at end of Main Street. Small amusment park at Broadway. Actually two. One for very small kids and the other is a collection of older rides from the old Pavillion Park that shut down a few years back.

Another amusment park at south end of MB called Family Kingdom on the oceanfront.

Riply's Aquarium located at Broadway.

Edited: 02 July 2010, 19:17
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

All of the above posts have excellent suggestions for you.

The only two things I would add...1) I would suggest looking at the

past threads on here...there are pages and pages of them, you might

find some questions already answered for you.

and 2) SInce your kids are young, (not school age yet) I would suggest coming in September if you can. Still very nice, warm weather, not as crowded, and cheaper. :)

Good luck....have fun!!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a vaction, know nothing about Myrtle Beach

I just ordered this guide book and it arrived yesterday.

www.visitmyrtlebeach.com

It is loaded with info