We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from Ontario

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Best Route from Ontario

We will be driving to Myrtle Beach from Ontario next month. Can anyone suggest the best route to take? We would like to stop for 1 night (we are travelling with a 10 month old), can anyone suggest a good mid way point (or little bit further) place to stop for the night?

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
731 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route from Ontario

Ontario is a big place! :p

Directions from southern Ontario will be different, but from Ottawa we:

- cross into US at Lansdowne, Ont, for I-81 south

- follow I-81 all the way into Virginia

- head east on I-66 towards Washington DC

- turn off I-66 onto hwy 17 east, and follow it over to I-95. This route may be a few miles longer than following routes given by CAA, Google and MapQuest, but it avoids Baltimore and Washignton metropolitan areas.

- I-95 down to 1st turnoff in South Carolina (at South of the Border tourist monstrosity). Some people take it an exit or so longer. Whatevr gets you to hwy 501 east to MB.

Tom

Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route from Ontario

You're right Ontario is big place - sorry, I should've narrowed it down!. We will be coming from the Niagara area.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route from Ontario

I'm thinking most from Niagra area head over to Erie, PA and down I 79.

I 79 into WV.

In WV RT 19 south to Beckley where you pick up I 77.

I 77 into NC. Just inside of NC veer left onto I 74. I 74/ RT 52 to Winston Salem.

I 40 east into Greensboro. I 73 around southside of Greensboro.

Just past I 85 interchange will be exit for RT 220/ I 73 south towards Ashboro/Rockingham.

In Rockingham you hit RT 1 for very short distance to RT 74.

RT 74 east. Number of suggestions from there depending on section of MB you're heading to.

Beckley, WV, Princeton, WV or Wytheville VA would make good half way stop.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route from Ontario

Ang77, follow the above directions..(from pop2748) That

will be the best and shortest way.

Lots of hotels and resturants off Exit 44 in Beckley. And

about 7 hours to the beach from there.

canada
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route from Ontario

Ang 77 - We have been going to MB from Mississauga for 3 years now. We do go through Erie and cross there. The above information is the best. For one with a youngster Beckley is probably the best stop also. Have a great trip - we have to wait until September for ours!

Toronto
Level Contributor
352 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route from Ontario

Ang....

We've been doing it for 24 years and using the following route most times.

Cross at Ft. Erie and take I90 west to Erie, Pa. and then head south on I79.

I79 south to Exit 57 onto Rt. 19 at Sutton, WVa

Rt. 19 to Beckley, WVa and I77

I77 south past Charlotte to Exit 34 onto Rt. 34 at Ridgeway

Rt. 34 to Lugoff and turn right at the main intersection and go south two miles to I20 east to Florence, SC

I20 ends at Palmetto St. in Florence

Turn left on Palmetto and follow it east past the airport until it becomes 76

76 swings right and becomes 576 which takes you to Hwy. 501

Take Hwy. 501 to the new Hwy. 22 and avoid a lot of lights and traffic.

Follow Hwy. 22 into Myrtle Beach.

We stop in Charlotte on the way down (14 hours). Last year we found the new Drury Inn Northlake. It has free food and drinks in the afternoons/evenings, a free hot breakfast and it's beside a huge mall.

Kevin

Toronto

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route from Ontario

We just picked up our CAA triptik which sends us down the I95 to Baltimore and Washington and Richmond. Booklet advises about construction in a lot of the areas.

How is the construction this month heading down through Erie and on the way to Beckly?

I see the Beckly hotel rates are pretty high, $130 and up mostly for next week, would be worth it if this alternate route saves some time.

We are going to be staying at the Holiday Inn in Little River, North Myrtle Beach.

Going to visit Gettysburg on the way home so will have to go up through the Washington area any way on the way home.

8. Re: Best Route from Ontario

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 00:18