We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO question

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO question

When you rent from someone on that site, is the payment made directly to them, or through VRBO to them? Does that make sense? Say you pay by credit card. Is it through a 3rd party like paypal does for Ebay? or does the owner get your cc #? I didnt want to email an owner with this question. Im sure it can vary from owner to owner, but thanks for any help.

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO question

We've rented through vrbo many times and its always been directly to the owner, I think that some owners also accept paypal. We've sent money orders or used our credit card. We feel safe using the credit card we have because they have very good fraud protection. I thin

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO question

Usually the payment has been by check. I've also paid by credit card and that was processed through Condo-World even though we arranged the rental with the owner.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO question

As an owner, I prefer to accept personal checks. Occasionally someone will send a cashiers check, but most send personal checks. In all the years I have not had one bad check, and maintain contact with some guests for years, Christmas cards, etc.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO question

We have used vrbo twice....first time was thru a rental agency, check made out to them. Second was to the private owner himself.

No problems with either.

Ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO question

Great, thanks everyone. Yeah I noticed some accept checks and some accept cc. That helps, thanks!

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO question

Some credit card companies offer one-time use credit card numbers to make transactions safer. They are called substitute credit card numbers, or "controlled payment numbers." Check with your credit card company.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO question

As an owner....I rent a condo and 3 timeshares by checks (certified or personal) only. I also have a beach house that I'll rent by those methods or any major credit card with a 4% increase in price. As far as myself as a owner or someone that works behind a desk or answers a phone for a Resort or a Realtor....what's the differnece who you give the Credit Card number to? If you keep up with your transactions well....most CC companies will help you out if there is a problem.

I advertise with several different websites. VRBO is the absolute best. I also advertise with the Homeaway website... Vacation Rentals.com and with Flipkey/Trip Advisor and others. Trip Advisor got into the Rent by Owner game late but I expect them to prosper. The Homeway Network (VRBO) has a $10,000 Carefree Rental Guarantee.....in other words....they've done a fairly good background check and they stand behind their advertised properties (by owner). For a fairly small cost, you can also insure your vacation with companies such as Travel Guard.

Carefree Rental Guarantee... http://guarantee.homeaway.com/tac

Different owner's do things different ways but a signed Rental Agreement and Policy Guildlines are good for the owner and the renter.

Ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO question

I did see the guarantee offered by VRBO. Thanks for your post. If I chose to use a CC then I totally understand the percentage increase to cover the cost of the cc. I was just looking around and saw some said check and some did accept cc, so I was curious. We are looking to plan something in August and want to find a place NOW while we still have a lot to choose from.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
350 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO question

It's a sad statement about some VRBO property owners that the "protection" had to be put in place.

Worse yet that the renter must pay extra to prevent abuse by a VRBO member.

I rented a Paris apartment through VRBO and..the property was completely misrepresented. Pictures on the VRBO site were not the actual apartment.

What did VRBO do?

Nothing....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO question

We rented a place for August 2011 and I sent a personal check directly to the owners.