We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mollymay1962
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

I am going to stay at Island Vista this May with my family. I have never been there and am excited. Island Vista got a very good rating, but one thing I did notice about reviews on most hotels on the beach were the cockroaches. Is this normal? because it kind of creeps me out, but at least if I know it's a normal thing to see then I might be okay. Let me know if you've seen some please!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

You have nothing to worry about. Island Vista is a beautiful resort with great units. You have people who see a bug outside and write about it or who stay in a less then desirable place. Plan on enjoying your trip to MB

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

They are probably seeing Palemtto bugs aka water bugs. They are big looking cockroaches. They live in warm moist areas. They are some what common.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

yes, cbr_guest is correct. I think most reviewers who report seeing cockroaches in and around the pool areas are probably seeing these.

MB also has anoles, those cute little lizards that like to cling to masonry walls and ceilings. They are harmless and eat pesky insects.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

Palmetto bugs are coackroaches. American cockroaches in fact. You will see them any time you go to areas with warm, moist climates and mild winters such as any part of Florida and coastal regions of the Southeast. Cleanliness has little to do with their presence as they can survive on any decaying matter be it animal or plant so just decaying mulch, twigs or leaves can harbor them. Don't be surprised if you find one on your deck or an occasional visitor in your room regardless of where you stay. Living with these imported pests is just part of life in the areas they inhabit.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

The "Palmetto Bugs" live outside in our semi-tropical climate. They stay cool and hydrated under leaves, pine straw and decking during the day; but you will see them whenever you go out a night. The big bugs move quickly (and can even fly for short distances), so they can get indoors whenever a door or window is opened. They also can come indoors hidden in crevices of cardboard boxes and grocery bags.

All resorts, condos, and homes employ regular pest control services to keep the bugs from taking up permanent residence indoors. The treatment works for several months, so you are likely to find a dead bug or two who made the mistake of venturing inside.

Unlike their nasty city cousins, our health outdoor Palmetto Bugs (aka cockroaches) have nothing to do with filth. They're really quite harmless.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

The Palmetto Bug is the state bird! They don't bite and they are not after food like nasty roaches.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

Echoing on what the others say... you can have the cleanest accommodations in the world, but that may not prevent palmetto bugs from entering. Again, it is not a cleanliness issue... it is a climate issue!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

.......any of you ever seen the movie "Joe's Apartment"?

Now THOSE were CITY cockroaches!!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

I've only seen one cockroach in a condo in all our years of

beach vacations. The lights were out in the kitchen...and

I turned it on....and one ran under the cabinets. Never saw

it again.

Keep the lights on...and make lots of noise and you will be ok. LOL

j/k

Really, Don't worry about them,...you probably won't see any.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cockroaches in hotels at Myrtle Beach

But they are a little freaky for the person seeing one for the first time!