We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best crab legs? (no buffet)

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
Level Contributor
284 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best crab legs? (no buffet)

Hi there, I'm looking for a nice restaurant that has the best, freshest crab legs (not interested in buffets though) in the n, s, or general Myrtle beach area. Thanks!!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

Don't know if you realize that there are no fresh crab legs in the Myrtle Beach area except those attached to blue crabs. All snow and king crab legs are shipped in frozen from halfway around the world, and they're really no different from the ones you find in your local Cleveland restaurants. So if you want the freshest, I suppose you'd have to know when they were frozen.

Better yet, forget the crab legs and take advantage of the fresh local seafood choices that are available.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
284 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

Well that explains why I can't find many restaurants with them on the menu lol, thanks for your input! Could you recommend a local fish or specialty?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

There have been a number of earlier threads on this subject--just search on "local seafood" or "best seafood" and you should find plenty of threads.

For my money, Russell's in Murrell's Inlet is always a good bet. They serve local seafood as much as possible, and they're happy to answer questions about menu items and where they came from. Lee's Inlet Kitchen and Sara J's (in Garden City) are also high on our list. There are also the tried and true restaurants at Calabash (north of Myrtle Beach), and it's well worth the short drive to eat at Ella's, the Seafood Hut, Beck's or Dockside.

Of course, all restaurants serve non-local products at times. Oysters, for example, can't be harvested in SC during the summer months, so they will not be local unless you're there during the offseason (but the local oysters are incredibly good when they're available!) We also like to stop by the fresh seafood shops and buy seafood to cook ourselves. It's hard to beat a fresh slab of grouper or a boiling pot full of plump shrimp--cheap and cooked up fresh and hot. And not having to drive anywhere means you can enjoy as much of your favorite beverages as you like. :)

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

Dined with a couple who had crab legs at Landry's at Broadway At The Beach and the size was rather large and they said that the legs were very good.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

As arby said do a search right above your post is a search box, try crab legs, I remember posting a response, in Calabash it may be Becks or another they have all yuou can eat for $29?

Any place you get crab legs they are going to be frozen, but they are flash frozen on the boats, just like they do with shrimp that comes from other areas, it is still called fresh even though it was frozen.

My brother owned Barnaget Light Seafood in Jersey and when I saw his sign saying fresh and yewt ite was frozen, he said because it is flash frozen on the boat is why they can call it that. I'm just the messenger, I'm not taking sides on this one :)

Gary

Laurinburg, North...
Level Contributor
77 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

If you want all-you-can-eat crab legs that is not a buffet, you can try Dirty Dicks Crab House in North Myrtle Beach. We have passed by it many times but never tried it. I looked at their menu recently and noticed they had all-you-can-eat crab legs. We are going to try it next time we're in town.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

Not all you can eat, but the crab-legs at Biminis were awesome. The place was incredibly crowded in June during happy hour and yet they still cooked/steamed to perfection. That says something.... And the rest of their food aint shabby either.

Note: Biminis is very casual and can be loud... but their seafood is consistently good.

8. Re: Best crab legs? (no buffet)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 19:17