We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicken & Waffles?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Chicken & Waffles?

Are there any good places around North Myrtle that serve chicken & waffles? Thanks for your help! =)

Myrtle Beach, South...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

I'm not sure about NMB but in MB on the Blvd near 19th N is Lulu's Cafe, great Chicken & Waffles, all her food is good. I have a discount card which gets me a buy 1 get 1 free, you can order it from http://www.scfop12.com

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

thanks so much! didnt think i would ever get a reply!! lol

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

Chicken and waffles is not a southern thing, not many places in SC serve it.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

I don't know where you get the whole "Chicken and Waffles" is not a southern thing bit, Its a soul food tradition:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles

pbs.org/food/…

From the history the commercialization of the dish is not southern or apart of African Soul Food but the dish itself is a big part of southern african american soul food tradition.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

Chicken and waffles first showed in the 1600's in Pennsylvania Dutch country. In the 1930's the more current version showed up in a restaurant in Harlem. It did not become widespread and well known until the 1970's when "Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles" opened in California. It was started by Herb Hudson from Harlem. It was more of a northern thing, then transported to California. All of this info is in the PBS link.

I have lived in the south all my life and have never known anyone, white or black that made chicken and waffles.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

I have lived in South Carolina all my life, and like Endo, I never heard of chicken and waffles until some franchise chain decided to take Popeye's biscuits and gravy up a notch.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

Waffle House!?!

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

wow, never suggested that chicken and waffles was a southern original!! i didnt ask for the history of it, just a simple question! sheesh!

Myrtle Beach, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

Oh gawd yes! Lulu's Café serves hand breaded buttermilk batter chicken and waffles all day in the Summer. They're incredible and delicious! If your not in the mood for sweet, you can ask for sausage gravy instead of syrup. Oh man, I dream about that stuff all through the winter!

Myrtle Beach, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicken & Waffles?

You've never spent any time in Wampee then. Chicken and waffles have been around for a long long time in this part of the world.