We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

New York City, New...
11 posts
Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

Thank you so much for posting such an extensive review of the Caravan Tour. Mom and I are booked to travel on the July 7th date but became of your review we are going in a day earlier and I'm renting a car. I did not book my flight yet and i'm wondering if 1 day is enough to see everything they don't should you in SD. I'm very interested in SD but we aren't there very long.

Also- we are thinking of staying an extra day on the back end in Salt Lake, would that be advisable?

I haven't booked flights yet as I'm awaiting feedback from this wonderful forum.

Beth

6 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,044 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

To whom are you addressing this question? Those of us who are unfamiliar with the referenced "Caravan Tour" have no idea what this tour entails. Perhaps you should send this question to the person who did the review as a Private Message. Or, if you want suggestions/recommendations as a whole from those who participate on this forum, you should provide an itinerary of this tour or, at the least, a link to its itinerary. I'm sure you'll find we are willing to help if we know what you're talking about.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
2. Re: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

Might be this one;

www.caravan.com/tour/usa-mount-rushmore

8 days for the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Tetons, and the Oregon Trail and then goes to Salt Lake City. Total waste of money because you don't spend enough time at any location.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,044 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

If the link that RoadRunner provided is the tour to which you are referring, then I would definitely recommend renting a car for an additional day of sightseeing. There are so many places to see in the Black Hills besides Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, but I would recommend going to the Badlands with your rental car because that will be unlike anything else you will see on your tour.

Depending on your interests and abilities, you can just drive the Badlands Scenic Byway, stopping at the scenic outlooks and perhaps doing one or two of the easy walks. Or you could make this a day of hiking in the park on such trails as the Medicine Loop Trail and the Notch Trail. Be sure to stop at the Ben Reifel Visitor's Center and, perhap, have a lunch of Indian tacos at the Cedar Pass Lodge. (Taking a picnic lunch is also a good option.) I would also allow time to visit the Minuteman Missile National Historic Park just outside of the Badlands. You might even want to pre-book a tour of the Minuteman Missile Launch Facility, which I found very interesting, being of an age that remembers "duck-and-cover" drills. Finally, you can end your day with a stop at Robert's Prairie Dog Town to see those critters and at Wall Drug for a taste of kitsch.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

If this is the itinerary of the tour, I would book 2 days before the trip leaves. The additional day will allow you to see Custer State Park. The Badlands are a must see. Unfortunately, Road Runner is right; you won't have much time to spend anywhere because you will be rushing through the areas. As longhorn said, the Black Hills has much more to see than the 2 places you will visit.

Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
5. Re: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

Are there any other comments on Caravan Tours, other than the fact that you see a lot in eight days.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
6. Re: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS

A search of these forums would give you a lot of comments.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=3&geo=191&scope=2&q=caravan+tours&x=14&y=6&returnTo=__2F__ListForums__2D__g191__2D__i3__2D__United__5F__States__2E__html

You might have to copy and then paste the link into your browser or just use the search function.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 15:30
Reply to: Caravan Tour of Mt Rushmore, WY and UTAH - QUESTIONS
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City