We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

im in the process of looking into flying out there from PA. havent even cked flight costs yet, to see if i can afford it.... my husband and 16yr old son never been out there and would like to attempt seeing mt rushmore, 4th of july events are on the 3rd. it appears keystone and custer are closest towns for lodging.... we would fly in to rapid city regional and have to rent a car then drive out that way. get there the 2nd of july and and go home either sunday the 5th or monday the 6th... I went to mt rushmore national park site and read the info.... airport is about 35 miles from mt rushmore? thats what it said.

anyways, i feel the closer we stay to it the more exp the hotels are, correct? can anyone recommend reasonable decent places to stay in whatever town thats nearby? and would anyone be able to assist in car rentals, near the airport im guessing is where we would have to rent one...

i realize its 2 wks away and im pushing it, but we couldnt decide where to go this yr and still not sure if we will go here if flights are to costly from PHiladelphia, PA.. where is crazy horse at from mt rushmore area? maybe we could see that too. i read that on 90 i could drive about 2.5 hrs to devils tower, id love to see that too.. i believe old faithful is to far west in wyoming to see while we are out there isnt it?

sorry for all the questions, but looking for as much guidance as i can get. thanks so much

nancy

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Thanks to both of you for your helpful suggestions and all....

I did bookmark all 3 towns form here on trip advisor to see how the hotels are rated. ill just sort of scan thru a few to see ... they all sound like nice little towns... How far apart are they to each other? they dont appear to be to far from each other... but when reading, it sounds as though some places are closer to keystone and some are closer to custer etc etc ... is hill city more centrally located to MOST things more then the other towns?

i think 5 days is enough to see these things, if i go thru denver airport and that 6hr drive... unless i get a good deal thru rapid city with flight AND car then ill go that way...

I do ck on kayak as well as farecaster and car rentals , i have used them all in previous trips...

do these hotels or lodges also have suites?? id prefer to have separate room for H and I and son on a sofa bed or whatever. embassy suites has that and it was great... king size bed in a room with a door and then a pull out sofa in liv rm area and not anymore exp then a regular room.with 2 queen beds..

yes i agree, we wont be in room whole time, but i still want a decent quiet place to stay.... if there is NO full meals served within hotel then we can walk to a place that has breakfast cant we? or a short drive ?

i guess i have to call the K bar S lodge for rates, and call roosevelt for internet rates?? the rates they show online arent the internet rates?? Hmmm thats odd....yes to a pool too if possible, a day to just chill or maybe a half a day and just play around my son would love and so would we...

ive read so many reviews on all 3 towns, and i just dont know which one to choose to stay in.. hahaha. i guess the town that may be more centrally located to ALL the things that were listed would be best....

how far are the badlands NP from those towns?

thanks again for all your help and guidance with all this... sorry i have so many questions... I do read a lot of things on the various websites and get a lot of questions answered too.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

My wife and i just returned from the area -- stayed at the KBar and got a great rate for 3 nights ($109) that included breakfast. They seem to host elderhostels because several groups were there in course of the time. We spent one day doing Crazy Horse and Custer State park and another driving to Deadwood on the way to Devils Tower. We drove from Mitchell through the Badlands and Wall to Keystone in a day arriving in time to go to the ceremony at night lighting up the Mountain.

KBar advertises that you can see Mt. Rushmore from the hotel and indeed -- we had a view of George from our room.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Oh really? sounds like you had a nice time. Did you fly there? if so which airport did you fly into?

Where is Mitchell? When you look on the map it seems badlands is off to the right(east) of custer and keystone etc etc.. Do you recall how long the drive was from badland area to keystone?

Did you have to call the K BAR lodge to get rates or were you able to get them online? thats not a bad price.. so your room was able to see the MNT.? Did you request a balcony or were you able to see just from your window? wonder what rates would be if they have king bed with sep room and sofa bed.... ill look again.

thanks for your input. It helps a lot knowing somebody was just there.... how was the weather for you? mid july will be warm im sure

nancy

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Nancy,

Really, any of the three towns I mentioned will serve you well. I would look for a hotel you like with the amenities you want and go for it. Don't drive yourself crazy with distances. The nice thing about the Black Hills is that most attractions are within an hour's drive, which really isn't bad at all. And..the nice thing..there's much less traffic than back here in the northeast.

I don't think K Bar S Lodge has the suite layout you are looking for, but you can certainly check. I know Roosevelt has it because we stayed in it. Their family suites are wonderful. There are 2 queens in the bedroom, a large living area with pullout couch, 2 tv's, ceiling fan, balcony, and small bath.

Now, about the Roosevelt Inn's reservations. I apologize for being misleading. I really did some checking on their website, and the internet rates are offered on-line. You don't have to call to get them. When I stayed there, they didn't have an on-line reservations system like they do now, so I had to call and say I saw the discounted rates on-line. You now don't have to do this. I don't know if you noticed this, but I did see that some of the multi-night discounts do not include daily housekeeping, so if that is important to you, I'd opt for a AAA discount instead if you have it.

There are plenty of nice places to stay in the three towns, so I'm sure you will find something that suits your needs.

Keystone is about 1.5 hours to the Badlands--Hill City and Custer are about 2 hours away. Mitchell is about 3 hours east of the Badlands. I don't see you having time to go that far.

Enjoy the planning process, and don't get too bogged down with distances. It will fall into place.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

thanks a lot for your help and looking into things .. when were you there last? I see you are from jersey, not far from philadelphia.. nice to know traffic and roads arent like they are here.. I hate driving around town and all, its so congested and bogged with traffic... whenever i can i go outside all the mess and love the roads less traveled.

Ill probably stay in keystone or hill city. they both seem to be nice and centered around most things..

you mustve really loved your stay at the roosevelt, sounds like it...

i do tend to read TOO much and get too in depth , but its just the way i am, details are important and wanting to know where things are and how to get there is important...

i wouldnt go to mitchell, i was just curious to know where it was....

seems like the crazyhorse and caves are only things that cost money.. the national park things dont cost anything, from what i read anyways

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

We were there in 2006, but I do try my very best to still keep up on the area. We met so many nice people, and some of them we actually still keep in touch with, so that helps. It's so much different there--I found that people really went out their way to be helpful. I think you will be pleased with the friendliness of the people.

I think you will be happy in Keystone or Hill City.

You will have a parking fee to get into Mt Rushmore ($8-$10), and there is a $20 carload fee to the Badlands. It's good for one week. There's also a carload fee to Custer SP of $15, also good for a week. Things do cost some money, but all in all, it's a very economical area to visit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,342 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

We were there in June 2008 and found the Black Hills very affordable. The fees for entrance into the Badlands and Custer State Park are very reasonable. Enjoy your trip.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

I should have been a bit clearer -- I had business in Minneapolis so we rented a car there and drove from there that is why we stopped at Mitchell. No reason to go that far east if it could be avoided. I would not recommend doing that if the goal is the Black Hills but would recommend a sojourn to the Badlands.

As for the KBar -- yes, I called. They hope to have their website to take reservations after this summer season. They think they would be overwhelmed if they introduced that ability now. A

www.TravelSD.com
6 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Hi Nancy,

All of the suggestions you got are right on. I just wanted to add that you can see a schedule of the July 3 events at Mount Rushmore by visiting our website at travelsd.com/placestogo/rushmore/celebration. I hope you have a great time!

Best regards,

Wanda

SD Office of Tourism

www.TravelSD.com

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

thanks again all of you.. I wasnt planning on going to MITCHELL at all... i was just wondering how long it took you and how far badlands was... But upon going to blackhillsvacations .com i have been able to access the distance maps etc among other things..

Whats funny that i found while researching, was that if i flew into denver int..Yes the total airfare was cheaper then right into rapid city, BUT the cost to rent a car was MORE in denver... I looked on carrental.com and breezenet.com and kayak as well as expedia and all those, AND went right to airports themselves and clicked on car rental sites...

I dont know why that is... so even though airfare is less , car rental is more and then having to drive the 6+ hrs, was it all worth it?? with 3 air tickets AND a week car rental, denver comes out about 100 dollars or less cheaper then rapid city... so we thought is that savings worth the 6hr drive??? we didnt think so.... im still going to look in the next 2 days and get a final price, and as of today and its been steady, the airfare to rapid city is 320 rnd trip.. car rental was 280 give or take total for a midsize car i saw at dollar. BUT dollar isnt at the terminal itself, so we may need to get shuttled there if they offer it... but im going to keep cking sites for best rates...

as of this morning denver flights went from 219 to 256 and up today. BUT the catch is finding a flight that leaves my house early so we can get to denver early and make that 6hr ride, there werent many, but when i found one, farecaster, farecompare, kayak expedia etc etc... the price went up if i wanted an early flight......

SO thats where im at right now.. i know itll be here in 3-4wks and i have to get booking this stuff...

I am also looking at hotels... seems hotels in rapid city are just as much as ones in the towns of black hills....so after reading some of the reviews in keystone and hill city i have yet to decide.... BUT i will.........

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
Recent Conversations