We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

im in the process of looking into flying out there from PA. havent even cked flight costs yet, to see if i can afford it.... my husband and 16yr old son never been out there and would like to attempt seeing mt rushmore, 4th of july events are on the 3rd. it appears keystone and custer are closest towns for lodging.... we would fly in to rapid city regional and have to rent a car then drive out that way. get there the 2nd of july and and go home either sunday the 5th or monday the 6th... I went to mt rushmore national park site and read the info.... airport is about 35 miles from mt rushmore? thats what it said.

anyways, i feel the closer we stay to it the more exp the hotels are, correct? can anyone recommend reasonable decent places to stay in whatever town thats nearby? and would anyone be able to assist in car rentals, near the airport im guessing is where we would have to rent one...

i realize its 2 wks away and im pushing it, but we couldnt decide where to go this yr and still not sure if we will go here if flights are to costly from PHiladelphia, PA.. where is crazy horse at from mt rushmore area? maybe we could see that too. i read that on 90 i could drive about 2.5 hrs to devils tower, id love to see that too.. i believe old faithful is to far west in wyoming to see while we are out there isnt it?

sorry for all the questions, but looking for as much guidance as i can get. thanks so much

nancy

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

i went ahead and reserved a car for 311, 1400 miles at enterprise in the airport.... if i come across something better ill cancel it...

so thats 2 things done....

i looked at VRBO in hill city and keystone and found 1 that was in hill city for 125 a nite and its the lower level of a house and top level gets rented as well i guess, or owners live on top. looks nice and its open...full kitchen etc, but i want to see what hotel prices are and if i find something for less that may include a full breakfast anytime, then okay.

125 a nite and then have to go grocery shopping too, whats food prices like up that way i wonder??

ill email the owners and ask some questions

thanks

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

here is the link of VRBO

http://www.vrbo.com/117339#features

sunny springs bungalow in hill city

not sure where sunny springs is at...

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,552 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Call K Bar S Lodge also. They have a full hot sit down breakfast each morning. Good luck with hunting for a place to stay.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

Nancy, this looks like a pretty nice property for the $. Hill City isn't that big, so it should be easy to find. There is a small grocery store in Hill City where we bought items, and it was a little pricier than I would have liked. There's a much bigger grocery selection in Rapid City. To me, it would be worth the drive to get your major supplies. It's not like you'd have to go everyday. There's a Super Walmart at the Lacrosse St Exit of I90. We stocked up there 2 or 3 times. I also remember passing an Albertson's in Rapid City.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

i emailed K BAR S, and it is a nice looking place, im sure its not cheap... i emailed that VRBO house to see , they should email me back soon.

I have looked at online the Travelodge in keystone, its 2 queen beds and 96 a nite. econolodge is 110 a nite 2 queens on 2nd floor, i forget if its in hill city or keystone... of course the roosevelt inn, 2 queen beds are 99 a nite. the suite they have is about 185-195 a nite and 10 more for balcony , dont want to spend that much at all for a suite.... they dont have any breakfast or continental as they explain on their site.... none of these have anything except continental, so far..super 8 hill city 2 queen beds 112, or 95 if i buy in advance, seems alpine inn is a block away. best western golden spike inn, has a restaurant on site that serves all 3 meals.. 2 queen beds, and 123 if i pay in advance.

i was also wanting a laundry facility too if possible, some places have that..

right now im on travelsd.com and looking at rushmore view inn, says it has a restaurant on site and is 105 , it looks like just a typical motor lodge, no pool.., so thats it for now.....

there really isnt a lot of places, some have no vacancy and most are expensive... 7 nites is a lot. i have read reviews of the places ive looked at so far. sometimes they dont help either...hahahaha, i just try to get the jist of the place and not hang on all everyone says good or bad.....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,552 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

I don't know anything about the Days Inn in Custer but the Days Inn that we have stayed at near Callway Gardens in Georgia had an expanded breakfast with lots of choices not just a continental breakfast. Also many Best Westerns have more menu selections for breakfast if they don't have a restaurant on site. Last year we stayed at a Quality Inn in Billings, MT that offered a full hot breakfast. Just some ideas to help you with your hotel search.

47. Re: possible trip to mt rushmore in 2 wks , info please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
Recent Conversations