We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

My wife and I will be in Rapid city in July 2012 and we wondered if it is possible to see these three attractions in one day, without having to rush to much. How long would we need to spend at each attraction. We will have a hire car.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,423 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

We've done Mt. Rushmore in the morning, Crazy Horse in the afternoon and after dinner back to Mt. Rushmore for the night ceremony. Did not do Bear Country and we had plenty of time to spare. All the attractions in the Black Hills are very close together.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

Bear Country is only about 20 minutes to Rushmore. Crazy Horse is about 30 mins from Rushmore. I think I would start at Crazy Horse and work my way over to Bear Country and Rushmore. After seeing Crazy Horse, (I would estimate 2-3 hours max), you'd have about a 35 min drive over to Bear Country. You can see Bear Country easily in 2 hours. After, you can head to Rushmore, possibly planning your visit later in the day so you could just stay for the lighting ceremony. Definitely give yourself time to see the presidents during the day and evening.

I'm not sure of your plans, but I would not stay in Rapid City. Keystone or Hill City would be a bit more central to the sights, plus it will provide a more rural feel.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

Thanks for the suggestions guys...much appreciated!!!

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
11 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

Yes, can definitely see these 3 in one day. Are you pressed for time? If you can get to Mt Rushmore early when they open, crowds aren't as bad.

If you stay in Keystone, make sure to check out Big Thunder Mine (www.bigthundermine.com) Great family stop, close to Rushmore.

Rapid City is a good 30min drive up into the hills, so not too bad if you choose to stay down there. If you are with a family, definitely more choices for food, hotel, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions! Have a great trip.

South Dakota
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

Yes, you can certainly see Bear Country (8 miles or 15 minutes from Rapid City), Mt. Rushmore (28 miles or 30 minutes from Rapid City), and Crazy Horse (37 miles or 50 minutes from Rapid City) all in one day. Leaving your headquarters in Rapid City between 8am and 9am, start out the morning by visiting Bear Country. The animals are very active in the morning as it is cooler and feeding time. Spend an hour driving the wildlife loop, then an hour at Baby Land. Next, continue south to Mt. Rushmore National Memorial, arriving by 10:30 or 11am you’ll enjoy the Museum, Sculptor Studio, Presidential Walking Trail. Lunch is available at Mt. Rushmore at Carver’s Café, or you can wait and have a late lunch at Crazy Horse. Arriving early afternoon, you will be greeted at the entrance to Crazy Horse and directed to the Visitor Center where you will watch a 20 minute video of the story behind the project. Following this, you can choose to go on a ride to the base of the mountain (extra $) or visit the Indian Museum of North America, the Sculptor Studio, and the Interpretive Center. Plan for 2-3 hours here as well. As you can see, visiting all 3 attractions is very easily done in one day, with a few hours of daylight remaining! Consider returning to Mt. Rushmore or Crazy Horse for their evening shows. Mt. Rushmore has a 45 minute program offering insight to why those 4 particular presidents were chosen with a monument illumination at the end. Crazy Horse has a laser light show depicting the Native American journey.

If you want a great central location for your stay, everything you want to see and do is less than an hour drive from Mt. Rushmore. With a variety of lodging at a hotel, campground or cabin, and over 100 restaurants, you will not be disappointed by staying in Rapid City. Also, Rapid City is very family-friendly and does not ‘shut down’ after dark like some of the smaller communities. There are also many things to do in Rapid City, many of them free. There is a new Main Street Square downtown with water features and special events in the summer, including Summer Nights, a music festival held every Thursday. The City of Presidents are also downtown, with all of the past U.S. Presidents sculpted as life-size bronze statues on the street corners. Other highlights are Journey Museum, the free factory tours at the Black Hills Gold jewelry factories, Stavkirke Chapel, and many more.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

Yes, you can do Crazy Horse in the morning, Bear Country in the afternoon, then late evening for Mount Rushmore and stay late for the lighting ceremony too.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 00:12
Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

You can do them all in one day. If you stay in Rapid City I would suggest starting at Bear Country, when the sun isn't hot the animals are not hiding in the shade, so your odds of seeing an abundance of animals is greater. After Bear Country head to Mt Rushmore and then off to Crazy Horse... This would be very easy to do in one day. Check out www.visitrapidcity.com for more ideas on what to do while you are in the area.

8. Re: Bear Country USA/Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City