We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mt rushmore/ black hills

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hamilton
5 posts
Save Topic
mt rushmore/ black hills

We will be traveling to South Dakota the week of July 4th 2012. What can we expect crowd wise? Will Custer State Park be bumper to bumper? Will we be able to get reservations in hotels or cabins this late?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

I have never been to the area near July 4th, as I prefer to not travel this time. However, I can tell you that Mt Rushmore will be packed for their annual celebration. People arrive early and stay late.

Will Custer SP be bumper to bumper? I am not sure as I do not have direct experience, but I am certain it will be busy, particularly the Sylvan Lake area. As for reservations, you may find many places are sold out around this time, and rates will probably be higher than usual. This time and Sturgis are some of the busiest times in the Black Hills. I would start calling around right away.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
501 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

The fireworks are cancelled at Mt. Rushmore for Jul 2012, but there will be a full day of events, usually on the 3rd. "Over 21,000 people visited the Memorial on July 3 in 2011, exceeding the 2009 and 2010 numbers."

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

Heading to sight see in South Dakota from Canada. We have about 5 days and wondered if Rapid City was a good spot to stay. We want to see mount Rushmore and some caves. how far is the jewel cave from Rapid City. We are up for scenic drives, shopping etc. Any suggestions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

I was there in Mt.Rushmore last July 4th weekend. It was not too bad. On the morning of July 4th(around 11AM), the traffic was backed up near the entrance for about 20minutes. Iron mountain road was almost empty at that time.

NOTE - On regular evenings, they show a movie at Mt.Rushmore, but on July 4th there was no movie, instead there was Air-force Band playing as a part of July 4th celebrations. The Amphitheater was virtually full and around 7PM. So if you want to see the movie then try & catch it on a different day.

I visited Custer state park on July 5th and it was busy, It had traffic but it was not really stop & go or anything.

wats43 - Jewel cave will be atleast 1hr drive from Rapid City. If you are planning to visit Black hills, try & find your self a place near Custer, Keystone or Hill City. Rapid City is about 30-45mts away from the main black hills attractions.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

Wats43,

You may want to post a new thread so everyone can see your questions. Sometimes when you attach to a current thread, your questions can be easily by missed.

I totally agree with Relax by Travel. I'd look to stay in Keystone, Hill City or Custer to be more central to the sights. If you stay in Keystone or Hill City, you will still be close enough to Rapid (about 30-40 mins) to get your urban fix.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

You should have no trouble finding a place to stay if you start looking now, and traffic isn't so bad now that Mt Rushmore doesn't do the fireworks. You should check out Rapid City on the 4th for fireworks, fun and things to do. Downtown Rapid City at Main Street Square their will be a festival held for the whole family to enjoy. Check out www.visitrapidcity.com for more information on what to do while in the area.

7. Re: mt rushmore/ black hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:43
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City