We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wounded knee

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wounded knee

Hi guys,starting to do lots of research on american indians and best places to go for historical reasons, would love to see wounded knee but are there any tours out of rapid city that include this site ? i wont be driving so i need to rely on tours in south dakota,?

Black Hills Outdoor Fun
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Black Hills Open-Top-Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Black Hills Adventure Tours
Bike Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wounded knee

Never heard about tours that go to Wounded Knee Massacre side. Think your only solution will be renting a car. Maybe tours to Wounded Knee museum in Wall and hope local people can give you more info.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wounded knee

thanx tet, yes the more i research the more i find that wounded knee doesnt seem to have the same interest as most other sights in south dakota and yet i find the history behind it and the importance of remembering what happened would be a sight lots of ppl would like to pay respects at, i know its run down etc and doesnt get great reviews,but its become at this point one of the more historical sites i want to see on my trip ( dallas texas also on my agenda) but as ive said south dakota has some fantastic attractions and other historical points of interest , i just want to continue to research and get as much advice as i can, december is the time im travelling at this point, but would push it back if weather would become an issue, ( not good for other parts of trip though, eg disney, universal lv etc. , anyhows thanx for advice,more questions will come though !!!! ;-) cheers john

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wounded knee

Yes, that also was the reason for us to visit the massacre site. So I can understand why you want to go. Do you really want to go in december? Very cold and snow.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wounded knee

well december and march are the two months we can get someone to look after house, dog etc, so yes the cold is a worry but im planning on a 30 day trip in various places of which only south dakota is likely to get really cold, still havent quiete got dates in place yet,may even end up doing two trips to the usa within 12 months so the trip to south dakota may even be on the second holiday in september 2013 maybe ?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wounded knee

Septembr will be MUCH better. Our favorite time of year to get to Black Hills.

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wounded knee

Another place you will find an abundance of Native American history is at Crazy Horse Memorial! You can find them on our website at www.custersd.com.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wounded knee

As Tet said, September would be much much better for seeing SD. Also many attractions are closed in the winter, and roads could certainly be affected by snow. I'd rethink your December time if possible.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wounded knee

Thanx guys,may go back to original plan and spend 30 days on west coast, around december and plan for SD and other places in sept 2013,have to say im enjoying learning more about american history,its fascinating so planning a second trip for september,which also seems a great time for other states as well, will be ongoing and enjoyable, im only in my infancy of what ive learnt about american indians so as ive stated b4 i ll be asking lots of questions so i can put together a great holiday next year,cheers guys

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wounded knee

Wounded Knee and Custer Battlefield (Little Bighorn), along with the rest of the area will likely be snow covered in December. September would be much better as noted.

Sioux Falls, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wounded knee

On the other hand, maybe you *should* go to Wounded Knee in December.

The Massacre was December 29, 1890.

It would give you a better sense of just how beastly it was to see that landscape in the middle of a typical continental winter.

Somber stuff out of the way, South Dakota in winter is definitely, uh, shall we say an acquired taste? The Hills are fine, fun even, provided you can ski, snowboard or avoid killing yourself on a snowmobile :D, but apart from that....... And I speak as a SD resident.....

Edited: 24 April 2012, 00:08
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
Recent Conversations