We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds during Sturgis??

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds during Sturgis??

We plan on visiting Rapid City area seeing all of the usual sights during the week of August 6-10. I just realized the Stugis motorcycle rally is going on at this time either. Is it worth going out there at that time and dealing with all of the crowds. We are not interested in the rally at all. We haven't made any reservations..and I imagine reservations may be hard to come by anyway. Should we scrap our plans for that week? What about visiting mid-late September? Are most attractions still up and running for the season?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds during Sturgis??

At this late date, I would scrap the idea of coming to the area and move your trip to later in September. The earlier in the month, the better, IMO. A few attractions close after Labor Day, but most will remain open but may be on shorter hours. It certainly would not deter me from coming, however, and I think you will enjoy the time much more than by being there during Sturgis.

Since you have no reservations, you may not find anything suitable, and what you find will be very expensive. Typically, some people stay about 50 miles away (i.e. Hot Springs) to get lower prices on hotels. Hot Springs really isn't centralized enough to be a touring base.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds during Sturgis??

If you are not coming for the rally, I would certainly not visit during the rally.

SLR is right that September is nice, warm, and most of what you want to do will be open still. If you had something specific in mind let us know and we may be able to find out how late in the season they are open.

And if you do come in late September, take a drive through Spearfish Canyon. That's the best time to do so.

3. Re: Crowds during Sturgis??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
Recent Conversations