We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pontiac, Illinois...
3 posts
Save Topic
Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

We are going to be traveling through Rapid City area on our way home from Yellowstone and thought about tent camping around Mt. Rushmore. Is there any special events going on during this time period like fireworks or activities? What days? Is it crazy crowded? Could we pull in and get a tent site with electric if possible without a reservation? Would we be able to see same activitities on the 2nd or 3rd of July instead of just the 4th?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

I have not been in the Hills on the 4th. Someone else will hopefully answer that part of the question. I will tell you though, as an avid camper, that campgrounds all over SD will be packed. Everyone in the state with a camper fills the campgrounds on summer holidays. We make the most of our short summers. If you were in an RV at this point, you would probably be unable to book a campsite. Tent sites, however, do not sell out quickly and sometimes they don't sell out at all. Given the time of year, I would still make a reservation and not risk it: www.campsd.com for state park reservations.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Mt. Rushmore traditionally schedules special events on Jul 3, however the last few years there have been no fireworks due to the fire danger. Almost all of the Black Hills communities cancelled their fireworks shows last year. But, there is still plenty to do & see.

3174 is correct that you will need reservations for camping.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
848 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Definitely need reservations. Even the National Forest campgrounds anywhere near close to Mt. Rushmore, (first come, no elec.) will be full.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Fireworks have been a tough call throughout the Hills for a few years now. I recall reading that most towns did cancel last year, and it's tough to say what will happen this year. Only Belle Fourche and Piedmont has displays last year. Rushmore is typically quite crowded during this time frame despite not having fireworks, as they do have special activities. nps.gov should have a complete list of events for that time frame at the monument.

You can do a google search closer to the time to find July 4th events. The Rapid City Journal newspaper is a great source.

I am not a camper, but I'd play it safe during a holiday time by reserving a site in advance.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

We're waiting to hear on any firework shows that will be taking place in the area. Hopefully, we will have more details by early June. There are no fireworks at Mount Rushmore, but there will be events July 4th and 5th at Main Street Square in Downtown Rapid City.

Pontiac, Illinois...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Thank you everyone for this info. We need to be making some plans. Does anyone know about mid week camping through North Dakota the 19, 20, & 21 of June. We are now thinking of going to Glacier National before Yellowstone. T

Anyone know a reasonable place for 2 couples to stay? Maybe a cabin or lodge.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Nancy,

You would probably be better off posting these questions on the North Dakota and Glacier forums. I'm not sure how much total time you have for your trip, but like I do for everyone, I caution you to not overplan. Many underestimate driving distances between places out west.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Spearfish, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota has camping. There is a North Unit and South Unit. The North Unit has a large buffalo herd. There are buffalo in the South as well, but we have not seen as many there. The musical and Pitchfork Fondue in the South unit is a lot of fun. Excellent musical. Look online for information.

Spearfish, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota has camping. There is a North Unit and South Unit. The North Unit has a large buffalo herd. There are buffalo in the South as well, but we have not seen as many there. The musical and Pitchfork Fondue in the South unit is a lot of fun. Excellent musical. Look online for information.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Rushmore from July 2nd - 4th, 2013

We finally have a schedule!

Black Hills Area Fireworks Displays:

All displays at dusk unless otherwise noted.

*All shows pending weather conditions.

July 3

• Post 22 Fields, Rapid City, approx. 10pm

July 4

• Arrowhead Country Club, Rapid City

• Villa Ranchaero, Box Elder

• Highway 18 Bypass, Hot Springs

• Over the Open Cut, Lead

• Pageant Hill, 9:30pm, Custer

• Rodeo grounds, following rodeo, Interior

• Sturgis Fairgrounds, 9:15pm, Ball Park Rd., Sturgis

• Weston County Fairgrounds, Newcastle, WY