We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding Falls Park

NC
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding Falls Park

We like to stop and have picnic lunches on our road trips and I thought Falls Park may be a good stop during our trip this year. I try to find parks for us to stop in when we can just because it seems like we always stop at rest areas/welcome centers and just like something different when we can.

We'll be driving from Rapid City on our way to St. Louis and Sioux Falls seems like a good place to stop for our lunch. My question is do you have any other suggestions other than Falls Park? We don't mind driving off the interstate a little bit, so if there are any other suggestions, I'd love to check them out.

Oh, one more question.....according to the website, I didn't see anything about needing to reserve picnic tables. We'll be passing through on a Thursday, so do we need to reserve a table or would we be okay just stopping in?

Thank you in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
7 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,681 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

Falls Park is definitely worth visiting; we considered it a highlight of our trip to Sioux City. There is also an observation tower to come up with and the views of the falls are quite nice. The historic buildings are quite nice. We were able to find a table quice easily for our picnic (first half June). If you have a group, there are group picnic grounds in Sioux Falls where you can make reservations.

siouxfalls.org/parks/parks/shelter-reservati…

It sounds like your group is small, so just drop by.

Mentioned in this post
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
Keystone, South...
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

Hi -

Falls Park is Great!

Another options (if you have time) is Palisades State Park, 25495 485th Avenue, Garretson, SD 57030. This is about 30 minutes northeast of Sioux Falls, but is also fantastic. (Famous for the Jessie and Frank James jumping the gorge over the Big Sioux to escape posse from Northville Bank Raid . . . mimicked in all the old B western movies.)

Enjoy your time! Rich

Mentioned in this post
Palisades State Park
Palisades State Park
83 Reviews
Garretson, SD
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
NC
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

Falls Park it is! Thank you!!!

We will definitely be adding Palisades State Park to our list of must visits. I actually had a great, great uncle that ran with the Jesse James gang, so that would be really cool to see!! Thank you for the suggestion!!

Mentioned in this post
Palisades State Park
Palisades State Park
83 Reviews
Garretson, SD
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

Good plan. I was at Falls Park last October definitely worth a visit.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

You do not need to reservice picnic tables. As long is one is available you can use it. Another suggestion is Tuthill park. It is just off the Cliff Avenue exit on I-229. It is situated on the Sioux Rive and quite large. It offer bike / walking trail and a plenty of area for a picnic.

The only other suggestion, is the Empire Mall. It offers many restaurants and shopping.

Mentioned in this post
The Empire Mall
The Empire Mall
35 Reviews
Sioux Falls, SD
United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

Travelling-Int,

The OP has already completed his/her trip. They wrote many reviews on the area back in June. This thread is from January.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding Falls Park

Not to quibble, but 999richw is confusing two different sites. Jesse James did not jump the Big Sioux river at Palisades SP, but according to legend jumped Split Rock creek (the site is called Devil's Gulch, also in Garretson SD). Here is a link outdoorplaces.com/Destination/…

Both Palisades SP and Devil's Gulch are worth visiting and are only a short trip north off I-90.

Reply to: Question regarding Falls Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sioux Falls