We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long for Sioux Falls Park?

EDW
Warrington, England
Level Contributor
258 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
How long for Sioux Falls Park?

We are thinking of staying in Sioux Falls as part of our roadtrip in the US in 2016. How long should we allow for Sioux Falls Park? Do we need a full day or would half a day be enough? We don't want to rush it but want to know if a one night stay would be enough. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
8 replies to this topic
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

An hour should be enough.

Edited: 12 September 2015, 22:22
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

Are you serious? You can do Falls park in about an hour. If you want a picnic then maybe plan 2 hours.

EDW
Warrington, England
Level Contributor
258 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

Thanks for the replies.

Travelling-Int, I'm not sure why you are asking if I am serious. I do loads of research, much of it on TA, before we book holidays and I am generally very clued-up. However, I couldn't work out how extensive Falls Park is and comments on here vary from 'Plan on spending 1-2 hours here' to 'One could spend the day here'. It seems that we will be fine with an overnight stop, which was my first thought.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

Basically, you get out of your car and take a short walk to the falls. The amount of water going over the falls will depend on how much rain they've had upstream. Therefore, sometimes the falls are more impressive than others. There are different places to take pictures. There are also different walking paths. You can also walk over to the gift shop/info center and ride the elevator to the top or take the stairs for a view of the falls. There are sculptures scattered around the park. There are some remains of an old mill, which will consist of looking at the remains and reading a plaque. There's a little cafe there if you want to eat. I've been many times and I'm not quite sure what one would do to fill the day there. I agree that you could spend two hours if you did more than just look at the falls. While the falls are certainly worth a stop, this isn't a huge attraction like Mt. Rushmore.

EDW
Warrington, England
Level Contributor
258 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

Thanks, MomMobile5, that's very helpful. We need a night's stopover in Sioux Falls anyway and I originally thought that we could see Falls Park the afternoon we arrived and then move on next morning, but I began to think it might be more extensive than I had thought. It looks as though my original plan was right and so we'll just stay one night.

Mentioned in this post
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

Falls Park could be as little as 15 minutes if you just wanted to look at the falls from a couple of viewpoints, or as much as 90 minutes if you wanted to go up in the observation tower (elevator, free) and perhaps check out the Queen Bee Mill ruins. There are probably 8 or 9 different viewpoints, and they all offer slightly different views of the falls. There is a small restaurant on premises as well. The falls are pretty any time of the year, so I don't think the timing of your trip matters all that much. Water flow is greatest in the spring, and after summer storms. The lowest flow is in the fall. You may enjoy the sculpture walk (it is downtown, about 1 mile to the SW of the falls) which is reviewed elsewhere on this site.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
12 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

If you're going between Memorial Day and Labor Day and want to check out more of the downtown area, you could take a trolley ride. It leaves from Falls Park near the gift shop. Rides cost $1 per person. There is also a small art gallery in a separate building behind the gift shop.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long for Sioux Falls Park?

Anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours taking in the different views, enjoying a picnic, observation tower, buildings on site to check out and gift shop. It's a valid question. It is a really beautiful spot maybe not Mount Rushmore but pretty impressive for what it is. That and it's free to enjoy. If you want more free and history check out the USS SD ship outline and museum (a piece of USS Arizona is housed there). Those are two wonderful and worthwhile stops to take in.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Reply to: How long for Sioux Falls Park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sioux Falls