We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarah Flaherty

Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Sarah Flaherty

I would like to buy another sweater from Sarah for my daughter. The phone # I used was not in service. Does anyone know her current number? Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,407 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarah Flaherty

i have never heard of her and had to google for info. her phone number is on the internet, but it is a land line . we have had a big storm here in ireland and on the west coast, so a lot of phone lines are down . and on the aran islands, there would be no way of reaching her. try again in a week or two when services should be back to normal.

Crystal River
Level Contributor
107 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarah Flaherty

Look 3 topics down from this one. It's called, "Where To Find Good Aran Sweater." Sarah is still there. Someone has even posted her phone number.

Edited: 04 November 2017, 20:17
WI
Level Contributor
18 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarah Flaherty

Going to be on the island July 21, can anyone tell me where to find Sarah and her sweaters?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarah Flaherty

just ask anyone on Inishmore to direct you...a friend of mine found her sweaters in a shop at the foot of Dun Aengus....

5. Re: Sarah Flaherty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 August 2018, 03:15

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarah Flaherty

I didn't read previous posts carefully and just assumed her shop would be somewhere in the town where the ferry arrives/departs. This is wrong. Her tiny shop is located 8-9 km away from the ferry port. As previous posters have said, her shop is about 20 feet away from the entrance to the visitor center of the Dun Aonghasa ruins. However, those ruins are a key attraction on the island so if you're renting a bike, taking a horse drawn carriage, or riding in a tour bus, chances are very high that Dun Aonghasa is on your itinerary. We were there on June 23. It was not crowded in her shop - we were the only ones there for ~20 minutes.

Sarah's shop is tiny. It's a single room and I'd say it's only 25 ft x 15 ft. Sweaters, caps, head bands and other accessories are piled neatly around the shop. However, don't expect to find a particular style in every size and color. You may be lucky and find a style you like in your size, but it's just as likely that there's only one sweater in a particular style/color/size. Remember, she's the only person making these, so will produce styles/sizes/colors that have a higher likelihood of being sold. I'm between a men's XL and XXL and there were very few choices, while my wife and daughters, who are a women's medium, had many more options. I don't think any of her items are labelled either, She has no brand label and there are no size labels, and I think most are unisex styles. Just grab a sweater and try it on, or ask her to size you up and suggest something.

I suggest trying on sweaters BEFORE exploring the ruins. We went in the summer, and were a bit hot and sweaty by the time we finished exploring the ruins, so you wouldn't want to try on heavy wool sweaters then. Pick your sweater before you explore the runs, and Sarah will have it packed-up by the time you get back. We didn't think to ask about VAT tax refund paperwork, but she didn't offer either. Not sure if she offers such paperwork, but it can't hurt to ask.

There are MANY Aran sweater shops all over the region, not just the island...it's hard to avoid them. We stopped in a few to get an idea of selection and pricing. You can find machine-made sweaters as low as 25 euro, but they also sell beautiful handmade items for 80-150+ euro. These sweater shops are generally much larger than Sarah's, so if you're an unusual size, or want a specific style and color, you'll be more likely to find what you want. We are not knitters, so have no idea whether Sarah's sweaters and yarns are any better than any of the handmade items at other sweater shops. Just by simple inspection, I'd say Sarah's items are comparable to other handmade items -- but of course you have a personal connection to the knitter of your sweater and she can answer anything about sizing and care. so you have a nice memento of your visit. Sarah's prices are comparable to the other shops. Her heavy wool pullover and heavy cardigan sweaters cost about 140 euro each. Definitely not cheap, but not that much different from her competitors. Only you can decide if it's worth the expense.

As others have said, her credit card machine is flaky and was not working the day we went. We were ready to make a 300 euro purchase, but did not have enough cash. She let us leave a paltry 20 euro deposit (all the cash we could spare at the time) and mail her the rest later! I was stunned that anyone would allow that, but she is definitely the trusting type. I've heard of her doing this for others, and we're grateful that others have not taken advantage of her because we benefited from her kindness and the honor of her customers. We sent her the balance two days later.

We grabbed a business card from her. She has no website. Here is all the card has on it:

Dun Aengusa Knitwear

Sarah Flaherty

Bungoula

Kilronan

Aran Islands

Co. Galway

Tel: 099-61233

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarah Flaherty

Did you use the address right on the card to mail her the remaining balance?

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarah Flaherty

Did you use the address right on the card to mail her the remaining balance?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarah Flaherty

Yes

WI
Level Contributor
18 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarah Flaherty

NOW I FOUND IT! Thanks for all the info!

Reply to: Sarah Flaherty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inishmore