We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around Isle of Skye

Boston...
3 posts
Traveling around Isle of Skye

Hello My husband and I are putting yogether a trip to Isle of Skye in September...is it better to stay in one place? or spend 1-2 nights traveling from place to place? any favorite hikes or places to see? first time for us! Thank you!

Anne

6 replies to this topic
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
15,226 posts
182 reviews
158 helpful votes
1. Re: Traveling around Isle of Skye

How many nights do you have? If is a week for example, you could choose two bases, one in the north and one in the south to save going back and forth each night. Portree is a good base if you want accommodation choice and places to eat. You also MUST secure accommodation before travelling.

Edited: 6 years ago
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
824 reviews
974 helpful votes
2. Re: Traveling around Isle of Skye

If it's of use, these are my own favourite walks on Skye, based on many years of hiking and visiting the island.

http://wp.me/p4QqFa-2EF

Also check https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/

I'd probably base in one area though it can work to be in two depending on what you plan to do.

For ideas on what to see, I could(and often do) go on forever!

My own suggestions for a couple of days.....

http://wp.me/p4QqFa-2qI

Edited: 6 years ago
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
139 reviews
58 helpful votes
3. Re: Traveling around Isle of Skye

The island is big enough to warrant a stay of at least several nights. I do not personally think, however, that is is large enough to make it worth packing up and moving to a different place. The bigger concern is finding one place so late in the game. Good luck.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
121,003 posts
418 reviews
365 helpful votes
4. Re: Traveling around Isle of Skye

I agree. Have one base and then explore from there.

Province of...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Traveling around Isle of Skye

how is possible to visit all these places? Taxi or tour available? I'm going there in november and we are three girls

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
34 reviews
134 helpful votes
6. Re: Traveling around Isle of Skye

I've spent time on Skye in November and daylight hours are limited. The weather can be cold and damp and windy. To see everything you really should consider renting a car. Is this a possibility?

Reply to: Traveling around Isle of Skye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uig
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.