We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

UK
2 posts
Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

We plan to stop over in Uig on the way to Harris at the end of August this year. Where is the best place to stay overnight after a long day driving. Children are aged 18, 16 and 12. Ideally not too expensive, and we'd like somewhere to eat cheaply in the evening. At the moment it looks like the UIG Hotel is the best option for B&B, but how much would an evening meal set us back?

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
557 posts
16 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

Hi there!

I'm guessing in Uig itself there are only 2 places to eat - maybe someone will correct me - the Ferry Inn & the Uig Hotel? As far as prices go, I would think your best bet would be to simply phone the hotel and ask. There may be small Guest Houses & B&Bs offering evening meals, where you could potentially find accommodation split between a couple of rooms, but you would need to check out their individual websites for specifics. The following websites will provide you with plenty of weblinks to B&B websites etc.:

http://www.skye.co.uk

http://www.isleofskyeaccommodation.com

http://www.isleofskye.net

Hope this helps!

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
2. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

It is hard to answer as you first say you want the "best" then you say "not to expensive". I don't know how much that means. For me I would opt for a room around 200/250 pounds., but again wirhout an amount a recomendation can't be done.

UK
2 posts
3. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

I think when I said "the best", I meant, where would be a good place to stay after a very long day driving. I'm not looking for a 5* Hotel etc, just a warm welcome and a comfy bed. Am I the only person who would think £250 for 1 night B&B is quite expensive?!?! Maybe I need a better paid job...

On another thought, how long would it take to drive from Portree to Uig to catch the early ferry - is that a better bet for a B&B?

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
557 posts
16 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

Hi again,

if you are looking at Hotels or larger B&Bs (able to accommodate a family of 5 "adults"), you would probably be looking at £30 per person per night upwards, unless the accommodation has a Family room that can sleep 5 guests, in which case you might find some reductions - that would be at least £150 per night B&B - so Dodger70 probably isn't too far off the mark in reality! If it is simply a warm bed and friendly welcome, then try some of the smaller B&Bs, but remember you will be filling all their rooms, so early booking is essential and be aware that some will not take a 1 night booking for all of their rooms.

You will have more options in Portree, but there are B&Bs dotted all the way across that area - not necessarily in the town centres - using the websites I provided above simply confine your search to the Trotternish Peninsula / Portree and Dunvegan areas - the drive will be 10 - 30 mins depending on where you end up I would think.

Happy hunting!

Edited: 14 years ago
Skye
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

Another place to eat would be the" Pub at the Pier" ( The Bakur Bar). Excellent meals, but in August , you may have to wait some time as it gets really busy.

The Uig Hotel meals are very good if a little expensive.

Give the Ferry Inn a miss. Their attitude stinks, if you go after 8pm. you'll be turned away and when you have finished your meal, you'll be chucked out almost right away.

We spent a lot of money there one night and as we were having a coffee in the small lounge, the owner came through at 10pm. and said " Well I don't know about you, but we have homes to go to". So as far as I'm concerned, never again!

Inverness, United...
3 posts
6. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

There's many B&B's in Uig. I wouldn't recomend the hotel as it is very expensive, to stay or to eat. As previously said in a post earlier The Ferry Inn isn't a good place to eat due to attitude but the foods not that good either. The Bakur Bar is the best place in Uig to eat. I would reccomend as a Guest House Woodbine or as a B&B Uig Bay Campsite as it is within walking distance of 2 out of the 3 eating venues. There is also B&B's heading upto Kilmuir.

Inverness, United...
3 posts
7. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

Its around 17 miles, so probably 25-30minutes.

W Yorks
2 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

We arrived on Skye after the long drive north and ate in Portree - lots of choice - fish and chips to seafood restaurants and then drove on to B and B in Staffin (East Coast of Tortternish Peninsula) which we had booked. It was light til very late of course, so we had time for a walk down to the beach.

We then had a fantastic morning exploring the Quirang (amazing rock formations on the hill/mountain behind Staffin). Soup in the craft cafe at Uig and the afternoon ferry.

Worked well for us and 2 teenage kids.

9. Re: Stay and eat in Uig (family of 5)

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Uig
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.