We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other walks around or near cader iris

australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Other walks around or near cader iris

We are in our 50 s and want to try to walk the cader iris. I was going to book at llanberis but it is a long way away. Firs

Try are there other walks, and attractions to warrant a 3 day stay and where is a good place to stay in the area for the Cader Iris climb.

6 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other walks around or near cader iris

The Tyn-y-Cornel hotel in its stunning location at one end of Talyllyn Lake is very well situated for climbing Cader Idris and, in a week staying there, we didn't begin to exhaust the walking possibilities.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other walks around or near cader iris

There are lots of walks of varying exertion from simple strolls to getting to the to top of Cader. I've lived in the area for 30 years and am still discovering new ones, and never tire of the old ones!

There are several routes up Cader, from different sides. I've done the three main ones. The Minffordd path from the south ( I.e. The Talyllyn lake side) is the shortest for very fit people but it is largely VERY steep steps cut into the rock and is a killer on the knees. Now nearly 60 I'm unlikely to do that route again. As you mentioned 'trying' Cader with an element of doubt, I'd suggest you do one of the other two routes, either the pony path from the Ty Nant car park on the north side, or the even more gradual, and even longer, ascent from Llanfihangell on the west side. If you so manage the summit from one of these, you can always try the Minffordd steps, to visit Llyn Cau lake, part-way, on another day. That's what I did last time .... and thought it probably would be the last time, too!

More on other walks in a mo when I find previous messages.

Edited: 14 February 2018, 05:57
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other walks around or near cader iris

The ideas below are lifted straight from a reply I did for someone wanting walks in winter.

To it I would add:

- Castell y Bere from Abergynolwyn , where there's two good places to eat, a pub and a community cafe. (you can also drive right to the Castell.)

- Walks from the Visitor Centre in the Coed y Brenin Forest.

- the O.S. maps will reveal hundreds of other options

-----------------------

There are some super places for easy walking in winter, with great views of the local mountain, Cader Idris, but without going too far off the beaten track:

- Talyllyn lake, super flat walking on the back road (gates and a ford, with footbridge, so don't try to drive it); Tynycornel hotel does great afternoon tea.

- the Mawddach trail, along the old railway line, and alongside the river, between Dolgellau and Barmouth.

- the railway/foot bridge over the Mawddach estuary (part of the Trail above)

- the Panorama Walk up the hill behind Barmouth

- the Precipice Walk, if you get a fine day. Few miles north of Dolgellau, this is a SUPER walk of about 4 miles around the top of a hill, but you do the ascent by car, and then the walk is fairly level. Allow at least 2 hours as you tend to stop to admire the different scenery as you go round: Iron Age hill fort, Coed y Brenin forest, distant mountains ( including Snowdon on a clear day in summer, unlikely in winter) , river and estuary, Cader Idris, fishing lake ... The walk gets its name from the fact that on the west side of the hill you're on a rather sheer hillside. However the path is wide enough for it not to feel scary; only severe vertigo sufferers need avoid! It's a 'family' walk, suitable for anyone who can walk 4 miles. Needs decent walking shoes/trainers as there are some short stretches that are a bit rocky underfoot and others that are usually a bit muddy. It's a great way to feel really high in the hills, on a very clear path, and with little effort!

- coast and beach, e.g. charming small town of Aberdyfi; 4 miles of sandy beach between there and Tywyn.

- Too much more to list .....!

---------------------------------

Dolgellau would make a good base for all these walks, especially if you want to walk Cader from the north side.

Or Talyllyn if you want the lake views and to walk up Cader from the west side.

Either would work for all the options ..... being much closer than Llanberis!

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other walks around or near cader iris

Here's the link for the Precipice Walk:

…llyw.cymru/__data/…PresipiceWalk_e.pdf

I must have done this walk about twice a year for the last 30 years. Looking forward to the next one, after 60 times, says a lot about how special it is! It's always a joy to take visitors, impossible to tire of it!

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other walks around or near cader iris

Duplicate post. ignore

Here's the link for the Precipice Walk:

…llyw.cymru/__data/…PresipiceWalk_e.pdf

I must have done this walk about twice a year for the last 30 years. Looking forward to the next one, after 60 times, says a lot about how special it is! It's always a joy to take visitors, impossible to tire of it!

Edited: 14 February 2018, 07:12
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other walks around or near cader iris

A word about Cader. It's straightforward on a fine day. Super, unique views.

But it's a peculiar mountain at the top, with two peaks, several ridges, several routes down, several cairns, and glimpses of more than one small lake. In poor visibility people can become very disorientated. If the mist comes down unexpectedly, turn back.

The last time I did it we had clear dry weather for our ascent and picnic at the top. Then the dense cloud came down. We know the mountain well, and knew our path. As we descended we met not one but THREE separate couples who were uncertain where they were. All three had got so diorientated in the dense cloud that they had taken a path 180 degrees the opposite way to the one they intended! The couple with a compass knew they'd gone wrong but couldn't work out exactly how or where. The other two couples thought they were on the right path, but were just beginning to have doubts. If they'd carried on down they would have come to the car park on the opposite side of the mountain from where they'd left their car, and facing a 20-mile lift or taxi ride back to it!

They wouldn't have been the first. My friend once picked up a distraught couple on the A487 road who thought they were coming down to their car at the Ty Nant car park on the other side of the mountain. On a clear day you wonder how this can happen. Having experienced poor visibility last time, I realised it's not that difficult: in the dense cloud all the paths, cairns, ridges and glimpses of lake look the same, and there's no sun to help ...

So do go well-prepared, well-equipped, on a fine day, and turn back if the weather changes.

Edited: 14 February 2018, 07:35
Reply to: Other walks around or near cader iris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dolgellau